Chapter 39

Atsushi didn't respond to Kyoka's prior question. He didn't think now was the best time to explain anything. Especially when he'd already made a phone call.

"Atsushi? You remembered, didn't you?" He nodded solemnly to Kyoka's question. He did, he remembered her.

When he'd gone to get some food for her, he initially had planned to just get the first thing he found. But when he'd been walking down the street an old lady had called him over. She said it'd been years since she'd seen him last and questioned where the small girl in the red kimono was. That was probably Kyoka.

Atsushi had felt a small sharp sting go through his head as the woman spoke. The woman had cried in alarm saying he'd started to cry. Atsushi pressed his hand to his cheek as he didn't believe the woman. But he was, he'd been crying at the recollection of certain memories. They were small, only short ones. But it was the memories of when he used to get crepes for Kyoka. When they had gone out for walks together, and he treated her. Bought them for her as she had a bad day.

But in every memory her face has lit up at the sight of them. Just as it had when he gave the crepe to her a few minutes ago.

"What made you recall?" She questioned.

"The old lady at the stand. I don't know why but being in that situation made me remember." Akutagawa had a thought cross his mind. It was risky, but it might just work.

He released his Rashomon and landed himself on the ground, equally between Atsushi and Kyoka.

"You!" Atsushi exclaimed as he shot to his feet. Akutagawa raised his hands to show he wasn't a threat.

"What do you want? If you want to take Kyoka from me, you can't." This was a different reaction than he'd expected. Especially after what happened this morning.

"And why can't I take her if I wanted to?" Akutagawa questioned, a hint of humour in his voice.

"You can't! She's mine! She's my sister!"

"Well she's my partner!"

"What, the partner who tried to kill her!"

"At least I didn't kidnap her!" Kyoka was starting to grow tired of the guys bickering. She summoned Demon Snow who threw her sword between the two of them, silencing the pair.

"How about I'm going with neither of you. I'm very capable of saving myself, thank you." She crossed her arms in a huff and turned her head away.

"Anyways it doesn't matter. Mo- My boss will be here soon and then you'll have more problems." Atsushi seemed impressed with himself at his statement. But instead of responding with a snarky comment Akutagawa pulled out the letter from his coat.

"What's this for?" He questioned not getting any closer.

"Something you wrote. Three years ago." He stated. This was a big risk. He didn't even know what the contents of this letter was. What if it was just like the other one, it could make him only remember the cruel things he did to him. But this was the last option he had. He didn't exactly have a way to recreate any other memories with Atsushi. Unless tearing a leg off was an option.

Atsushi slowly made his way over and took the letter, looking it over slightly for any markings, all there was was the creases from being handled and the paper had faded slightly.

"What's written on it?" Akutagawa shrugged his shoulders in response. He watched as Atsushi slowly opened the letter, carefully unfolding the single sheet of paper. The next few minutes as he read it over was the longest for Akutagawa. When Atsushi looked up at Akutagawa his eyes were bloodshot. His hands and legs were shaking. He quickly dropped to his knees pulling at his hair.

"No! Not again!" He cried, starting to dig his nails into his head. Akutagawa feared he would start to draw blood so attempted to grab at his wrist to no avail as Atsushi tried to push him away. With no other option Akutagawa pinned him to the ground. He writhed on the ground in an attempt to escape. But Akutagawa wouldn't let him.

"I won't let you go. And I won't let you hurt yourself. Just try to remember." His voice was so sympathetic, it sounded almost as if he was begging in the last sentence. Atsushi continued to try and break free. He eventually gave up and tried to slam his head against the floor in an attempt to knock himself out.

"Stop it!" Akutagawa cried, Kyoka had seen the state he was in and left to go get the agency members.

"Heh. You care about me so much don't you? Well why don't I just kill myself! That way I can ensure you suffer! I hate you! I hate you!" Akutagawa began to laugh with those words.

"What are you laughing at! I said I hate you! I said I hope you suffer!" Atsushi cried in anger. But Akutagawa continued with his laughing. Tears started to fall from his eyes. He released Atsushi's wrists allowing him to sit up properly. Before Atsushi could say anything further Akutagawa threw himself at Atsushi's chest enveloping him in a tight hug.

"W..What are you doing! Why are you acting like this!" Akutagawa refused to release his grip, fearing that if he let go of Atsushi that he might disappear.

"You came back..." Was all Akutagawa said with a smile upon him, tears running down his face.

"Welcome home Atsushi."