Chapter 43

"Atsushi!" Dazai hollered as he slammed the warehouse door open. The sight he was met with was not one he expected. Nakajima was surrounded in her own blood, Atsushi on the ground with Akutagawa in his arms.

"Dazai! Get Yosano! Akutagawa he... He..." Atsushi appeared to be in an unstable state. Dazai had seen people in this state before, they often ended up harming themselves.

"Atsushi, calm down." He tried to make his way over, dealing with one issue at a time. Akutagawa needed to be his main priority but Atsushi was making it difficult.

He spotted Nakajima's pistol which looked like it was about to fall out of its holster.

An idea crossed Dazai's mind, not one he preferably would like to carry out. But it would guarantee he could deal with the priority issue.

Before he could convince himself of another idea he quickly acquired the gun, switched the bullet and shot Atsushi.

"W..What..." Atsushi complained before slumping over. He was unconscious within seconds. The last thing he saw was Akutagawa's face.

~

"Akutagawa!" Atsushi shot upright tears brimmed at the corners of his eyes. He wasn't in a well lit place, it was dark around him he could feel a cover around his waist he must have been asleep.

"A nightmare. That's all it was. Akutagawa will be asleep across the room like he always is." Atsushi turned his face to look across the room but all he saw was flowers resting on the bed.

They were white roses.

Atsushi threw the covers off himself and raced out the apartment.

"No it can't be true." He cried to himself as he raced down the street to the agency. He made his way inside but no one was there. He heard murmurs coming from the infirmary so he began to sneak across the hall attempting to listen in.

"It's so sad what happened." It was Yosano.

"It couldn't be helped. He was so young as well." Kunikida as well? He couldn't believe it. He wouldn't believe it!

Atsushi then began to race out of the agency towards the river. It had been where he'd first met Dazai, he got here a lot quicker than usual. It was weird but Atsushi didn't focus on it. He had to ask Dazai where Akutagawa was.

But Dazai was there with his legs swinging over the edge, he looked as if he was going to jump in. Atsushi hoped he didn't, he didn't exactly want to go swimming at the moment.

"Dazai! Where's Akutagawa?" He questioned, Dazai didn't turn to face him. He just continued to stare at the water.

"He's gone." He answered.

"Yes I know that. He isn't in his room, so where is he?" Atsushi questioned his concern growing slightly in his voice.

"Atsushi. He's dead. It's your fault. He gave his life so you could be free." Tears began to fall down Atsushi's face.

"No you're lying! Dazai wouldn't say this! You're not him!" Atsushi wasn't going to accept this, he was trying to think of some alternative answer. But Dazai finally turned to face him. But it wasn't Dazai.

"You're right. I'm not him." She smiled, it was Nakajima. She pulled her gun from the hidden holster and shot him in the leg. He was down on the floor in seconds trying to drag himself away from the mad woman. Why wasn't his regeneration kicking in?

"Look at you. So pathetic and weak, no wonder he had to sacrifice himself for you." She cackled as she continued to make her way towards him. Atsushi was terrified, Akutagawa was dead. Most of the agency was nowhere to be found. And his ability wasn't working for him.

This was turning out to be a nightmare...

Something then crossed Atsushi's mind with the bullet still causing him agonising pain. The bullet. Or more specifically the three types of bullets. His main focus was remembering what she had said about it.

'However a side effect would be the individual would repeat memories, incredibly strong ones for an unknown reason.' Repeated memories...

Everything began to add up for Atsushi. The lack of people in the agency was just like that day when the fog had rolled in. The individual the two we're discussing in the infirmary was about a specific case they had dealt with about a young boy committing suicide. Those words Dazai had said to him were about himself, it was what he believed after what happened to his late friend. And Nakajima had a habit of pulling cruel soul crushing jokes on her son, despite them causing more harm than anything else.

Atsushi rose to his feet. The bullet caused no pain whatsoever now, he knew it wasn't real. This place wasn't real. Dazai had put him in this nightmare and he would eventually drag him out of it. Hopefully...

~

"Do you really think this is a good idea? I mean it's cruel doing this." Yosano stood next to Atsushi who was still in an unconscious state but he had seemed to stop stirring in his sleep.

"It's what's best for him." Was Dazai's response. He was looking at Atsushi as well, he could see what physical and mental scars had been left on Atsushi. His scars from the orphanage, from battles whilst at the agency, and the scars whilst being away for three years. His attitude had been so different, he felt he had to defend himself so much more and that was obvious in how he'd acted. So recluse, afraid to be near anyone.

But now he needed to rest. A few days of sleep would be good for his mind and body.

Dazai then turned and left the infirmary to check on Kyoka as she had seemed quite shaken after everything occurred. But just as he was going to enter the break room where she was he stopped at hearing someone speak with her. And someone was crying.

"You can stop clinging onto me. My lungs may be fixed but I still need to breathe." There seemed to be amusement in his voice as he comforted the younger. When Dazai opened the door slightly he saw Kyoka with her arms wrapped around Akutagawa, her eyes scrunched closed with tears streaming down her face. Despite her claims of hating the man she really did care for him. It just took him almost dying for it to actually click in her head.

"I'm not letting go." Was her response but she obviously loosened her grip slightly. The elder sighed at the relief of being able to breathe slightly better. Akutagawa began to mess with Kyoka's hair as it had become messy after the chaos that had occurred.

Dazai took this time to open the door fully, Kyoka didn't care who entered while Akutagawa turned to face him.

"You seem to be doing well." Dazai stated as he made his way inside and collapsed into the opposite chair.

"Yes, well I was very lucky that Yosano was able to get to me quick enough." To think it was only hours ago that he'd nearly died but Akutagawa honestly didn't feel much different.

"Although I think your method of calming him was a bit violent . Don't you think?" Akutagawa raised an eyebrow at the man. Dazai just fell backwards in the chair letting his head fall over the back of the chair.

"I don't think I could have convinced him to release your body. And he was already on the verge of collapse, this was much better than his body giving out on him." Akutagawa nodded in agreement, Atsushi did need the rest after regaining all his memories it would probably have sent his body into shock.

"When will he wake up?"

"Two days. I'll use my ability on him in two days. I'm sure that will be enough time for him."
Akutagawa nodded in agreement.

"Right, I better do some work before Kunikida tries to ring my neck again. Although that might not be a bad way to- Nevermind." Dazai rose from his chair while speaking, he shook his head at his last words before trying to leave.

"Actually, would you be able to help me with something?" Akutagawa questioned, this took him aback. Usually Akutagawa would ask Kunikida for help instead of him.

"Depends. I might not be the best person for the job." He shrugged his shoulders. Akutagawa had a weak smile on his lips.

"I'm sure you can help, after all you've done it before."