Chapter 34

The group had just left the courthouse. Tadashi had complied and shown his ID after the incident. Atsushi was walking with his arms tucked behind his back, a look of complete relaxation on his face. Akutagawa and Kyoka were unsettled slightly, they had never expected something like this from Atsushi.

"Do you guys have money on you?" Atsushi questioned turning to the other two, Kyoka checked her pockets. She'd left her purse in her room. She didn't think she'd need it and when it came to food Akutagawa usually paid for her. Akutagawa checked his and pulled out his wallet, waving it slightly.

"You could say I have a decent amount." By that he meant he had the money he slowly earned while at the agency and the funds from his Port Mafia days, Gin had given it to him despite his refusal. It was all loaded onto a bank account but he hadn't touched it, it felt wrong to use this money. It was tainted in the death and blood of so many unknown people, his agency money was made by him helping and saving others. Something he never thought would happen three years ago.

"Great! I see a little restaurant over there, let's go eat!" He punched his fist in the air and began to make his way towards it.

"He's so strange, it's like he's a stranger." Kyoka mumbled to Akutagawa. He nodded in agreement.

"At least he doesn't cower from you." He stated before following the white haired man.

Once inside the three began to overlook the menu. Atsushi ordered tea on rice, Kyoka ordered a set of Dorayaki's (honey pancakes filled with sweet red bean paste) and Akutagawa ordered a small purin (custard based dessert) with fig tea. The trio began to eat their food, Atsushi ate incredibly fast and quickly ordered himself a second serving.

"So about your memory being unclear, what do you mean by that?" Questioned Kyoka with a bit of bean paste on the corner of her lips. Akutagawa tried to lean over and wipe it off but she pushed him backwards and did it herself, feeling a tad bit embarrassed.

"Fogged. Blurry. Want any other synonyms?" Atsushi complained before taking another bite of his food.

"Have you tried to focus on specific memories before? You said you develop a migraine from it right?" Akutagawa questioned after sipping on his tea. Atsushi stalled in his eating, then he spoke.

"It's this incredible pain, it courses through my entire body. Each limb feels like it's being shot over and over again. A single thought in that state sends my mind spinning in circles. I typically don't know where or who I am. It's not a fun experience." The other two's mouths dropped agape. Why so much pain just trying to remember something?

"Did it never cross your mind that this isn't normal?" Kyoka questioned putting her hand on the man's shoulder but he just shrugged her off.

"And who exactly am I supposed to go to? My father was killed and my mother..." He stopped his words, realising something.

"I shouldn't have told you that.... Why did I tell you that!?" Atsushi began to breathe in heavy pants, his hands began to shake and he jumped to his feet struggling to hold his hand to his mouth. He then quickly disappeared into the bathroom.

The pair didn't know what just happened but believed they should give him some time. But they at least learned something.

Atsushi had a mother. And she was alive.

A few minutes later Atsushi returned, his face a paler shade than earlier, his hands damp with moisture. So was the bottom half of his face but neither one questioned it.

"We're going back to the agency soon. Finish your food and then I'll pay." Ryuunosuke stated as he appeared to be texting on his phone. Atsushi looked at his half finished food.

"I... I... I..." He couldn't even finish his words before he fell face first onto the table.

Kyoka immediately pulled him so he sat upright, a slight red mark on his forehead from the impact but otherwise he appeared fine. Minus the fact he was unconscious.

Akutagawa moved around the table and picked the man up bridal style, discreetly using Rashomon to strengthen his arms to make it easier to carry him.

"Kyoka pay for the food and then use my phone to contact Kunikida. Tell him I need to speak with Dazai." She nodded and quickly began to do the tasks assigned while Akutagawa made his way back to the agency. He got brief stares along the way, but he didn't mind. It felt good to have Atsushi in his arms again, it wasn't exactly the situation he'd envisioned when he'd thought he would get to hold the man again. But he wasn't complaining.

When he got back he took Atsushi straight to their shared room, laying him on his bed instead of his futon. Just as he covered him with a blanket there was rapid knocking on the door. Kunikida was here.

Akutagawa swiftly made his way to open the door before the man knocked it off its hinges.

"Finally, you never answer your door." Kunikida made his way inside and immediately started looking for Atsushi. Once he was sure the man was safe he made his way back to Akutagawa.

"So what happened exactly?"

"He collapsed." Kunikida wanted to shake Akutagawa back and forth sometimes and question what went on in his mind. He sighed the asked,

"Yes, but why?" Akutagawa shrugged his shoulders.

"Not sure. We were eating in a restaurant and he was explaining his migraine problem." Kunikida crossed his arms across his chest in confusion.

"Migraine issue?"

"Yeah, apparently when he tries to recall memories he feels in pain." Kunikida nodded.

"It makes sense, his memories have been manipulated so trying to correct them probably will harm him slightly." Akutagawa shook his head.

"No. It's a severe pain, like being shot by bullets. I believe that's what he said." Kunikida looked unsettled by his words.

"This is the first I'm hearing of this. Anything else?" Akutagawa had to think for a second before responding.

"Oh he mentioned he knew of his mother but stopped himself after that." Kunikida frowned at those words. "Atsushi doesn't have parents." Akutagawa nodded. He knew that, after all, the man used to remind him of his torturous upbringing quite often.

"Anyway, inform me when he wakes up. I'll have Yosano ensure he's fine. I'll send that sorry waste of good bandages over later." Akutagawa nodded just as Kunikida turned and left.

Akutagawa decided he'd do what he did last time he awaited the male to awaken. Sit at his side and read. Just as he was about to sit on the floor and lean against the frame of the bed, something overtook Akutagawa. He leant his hand towards the man and began to play with his hair. God he'd missed him.