Chapter 29

"So, how has your life been since you joined the agency?" Ryuunosuke shrugged his shoulders. He knew this was going to lead to a long list of questions from his younger sister.

Half an hour went by of a constant back and forth between the two Akutagawa's. Mainly Gin questioning her brother, but Ryuunosuke enjoyed it. He'd missed this connection he'd had with his sister, he'd forgotten how much he'd cherished it when he finally got her back a few years ago.

But he'd pushed it aside as if it was nothing, his depression when Atsushi left had hit him harder than he thought it had. But now putting the pieces back together, was something he would appreciate.

"Mummy! I'm bored!" Mirai complained she'd had no means of entertaining herself while the two adults were chatting away, she's been quite patient in waiting but as a child she needed something to distract her.

"Oh sorry dear, do you want me to ring auntie to pick you up? I still need to speak with your Uncle." Just as Gin was about to locate her phone once more Ryuunosuke piped up.

"What if I let Izumi entertain her for a while, she's very good with children." Gin nodded softly and began to rise from her seat grasping Mirai's hand to help her off her seat.

"I should come meet your co-workers while I'm here as well." Gin replied, Ryuunosuke nodded in agreement. The three Akutagawa's made their way up the stairs and were met with the few detective agency members who actually sat at their desks. Kenji, Kunikida, Tanizaki, Naomi and Yosano. Well Yosano was blathering on the phone to someone, Ryuunosuke guessed it was her mysterious lover that she wouldn't tell anyone about. But from what Ryuunosuke had heard they were a powerful individual.

"Yes I will meet you at yours. No I- Oh hey Akutagawa! And Akutagawa... And mini Akutagawa!? Sorry love I'll call you back!" Yosano quickly ended her call and rushed over to the trio.

"You must be the famous Gin Akutagawa? Am I right?" Gin nodded in acknowledgment as Mirai clung to her leg at this mysterious woman's presence.

"Yes, I hope my brother hasn't been too much trouble for you?" Yosano gave a light laugh while waving her hand in dismissal.

"Akutagawa? Cause trouble? You must be joking! Ever since he's joined he's been like an angel, huh funny..." Yosano gripped her chin with her thumb and index finger while thinking.

"What is it?" The eldest Akutagawa questioned.

"Just that you said Nathaniel called you Diablo one time. Now I'm calling you an angel. It's ironic is all. But yeah this one hasn't caused me too much trouble. Well except when it came to healing his lungs."

Gin looked towards her brother bewildered. He'd always been ill with his lungs, had this doctor healed him in some way?

"You mean you healed him?"

Yosano nodded in agreement, "After a treatment from my ability and a strict medication schedule he's borderline healed. Minus the odd few coughing fits, but that only happens after extreme physical exertion. That's only happened once thankfully." Yosano grinned as if this was a trivial manner. Gin grasped the doctor's hand tightly, Yosano became a bit concerned but allowed the woman to do as she pleased.

"Thank you! Thank you! I was always so worried that that would be the root cause of his death. We tried all the best doctors and they told us there was nothing to be done. So thank you from the bottom of my heart." She was literally bouncing with joy at this point.

"Your welcome Miss Akutagawa." Gin shook her head.

"Mrs Akutagawa actually, oh also this is my daughter Mirai." Gin tried to show Mirai to Yosano but she refused and hid behind her mothers coat but when she deemed that not enough she clung to her Uncle's leg for dear life.

Akutagawa gave a brief smile before lifting her into his arms, "Yosano isn't that scary Mirai. If it wasn't for her you wouldn't be able to see me now." Mirai looked at her Uncle then to Yosano, confusion written on her face. She eventually gave a weak wave before hiding her face in the man's chest.

"Aww she's so sweet, my partner told me of your wedding and showed me all the photos. You and your wife looked stunning." Gin blushed in embarrassment, at this point Ryuunosuke deemed now a good opportunity to sneak away and introduce Mirai to Izumi.

But just as he was about to go inside he heard voices from within. "Uncle who is-" Ryuunosuke raised a finger to his lip showing Mirai to be quiet. The little girl clasped her hands over her mouth as a way of showing her silence.

"So you didn't die on that train?" It was Atsushi's voice, he must have woken up and decided it best to speak with Kyoka. But why mention the train of all things.

"No I didn't. You saved me, don't you remember?" It was obvious by Kyoka's voice that she was still distraught about this whole situation.

"No... I um... I'm sorry I can't remember you..." There was an awkward silence for a while, but Atsushi broke it.

"But if you'd like... I'd be willing to... Umm... Try and rebuild what we had..." After his words there was a slight gasp, Ryuunosuke guessed that Kyoka had launched herself at Atsushi.

He didn't want to ruin this moment between the two so he softly knocked on the door, "There should be a blue haired lady in there, tell her your my niece and you wanted to meet her." Mirai nodded, then Ryuunosuke put her down and she made her way inside.

"I'm sorry, are you lost?" Kyoka questioned as Mirai made her way inside. She fumbled with her dress before quietly answering.

"M..My Uncle told me to meet you..." It was adorable how she spoke.

"Who's your uncle?" She questioned, she was suspicious. She had a right to, they were always told to doubt everything back then.

"Umm... He said he was your pattern..." Ryuunosuke had to stifle a laugh at her words, he could hear Kyoka's boots make their way across the room just before the door. Directly in front of Mirai.

"So are you gonna come inside? Or do I have to come to you?" She questioned. Ryuunosuke let the silence speak for him. Kyoka sighed in annoyance.

"Darling, why don't you speak with Atsushi. While I deal with your stubborn Uncle." Mirai hummed in agreement, Kyoka slipped out of the room and stood face to face with Ryuunosuke. He didn't meet Kyoka's eyes but he knew she was disappointed in him. Before Akutagawa could begin to give a reason as to why he wouldn't enter the room, Kyoka said something he prayed. Something he begged not to happen to the man.

"Atsushi's memories have been altered."