Chapter 42

The three were in a stalemate. Akutagawa had no means of escape, Atsushi couldn't afford to leave, and Nakajima was running out of patience .

"So will you come with me now?" Nakajima questioned, she'd got her gun posed ready to fire again and it could be any of the bullets. Akutagawa had his eyes trained on the woman he had to think of a plan. There had to be another way out of there. Maybe Atsushi could carry him as they ran but then what if she shot him. She could drag him away unconscious and he'd never have the chance to see him again.

Scenario after scenario played through his head but each one led to himself or Atsushi's demise.

Panic began to set in for Akutagawa, but just as he was about to suggest giving himself in so Atsushi could flee. Atsushi placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Let me." He whispered before he began to walk towards the woman.

"W..What?" Akutagawa stumbled. He never stumbled on his words. But this couldn't be happening, Atsushi was sacrificing himself again for him. He couldn't let him.

"Atsushi I-" He tried to stop him but when he locked eyes with Atsushi all he saw was a dullness. A dullness he used to see in his own eyes years ago. Part of him knew it was a mistake. He knew he couldn't let him go, not again. He couldn't make the same mistake. But he just nodded and let him continue towards his mother.

"I knew you would see reason." Nakajima replied, enveloping Atsushi in a hug. She then lowered her head so she could whisper in his ear.

"You'll pay for this later..." She whispered a hint of glee in her voice at the thought of someone suffering.

"No mother. I won't." Atsushi stated, before the woman had a chance to think her son's words over she was hit with a sharp pain in her abdomen. A knife was dug deep into a vital spot. She staggered backwards putting pressure around the wound but not removing the knife, all she resulted was bloodied hands.

"You!" She croaked as her vision began to blur and she fell to her knees, blood still seeping from her wound. She reluctantly released one hand from pressing on her wound and began to draw circles with her hand. Atsushi was ready to strike her down immediately to prevent her healing herself. But she wasn't healing herself. In a final fit of pure rage she'd turned her attention to something she loathed, something her son cherished so much he'd been willing to go through three years of hell. The love of someone else.

Akutagawa.

He had no understanding of what was happening, all he could feel was the metallic taste of blood rising in his throat until he spat it out across the warehouse floor. More and more blood rose from him. His chest became tighter and tighter. He could barely breathe at this point, his vision becoming blurry due to the lack of oxygen.

"Heh. You're done for just as I-" Nakajima was silenced by Atsushi using his claws against her throat. She was dead. There was no chance of her breathing another breath. Atsushi had only heard the man's coughing and deemed it not a major concern as he used to constantly cough in the past. But when the metallic scent crossed his senses he began to quickly panic as he saw Akutagawa on his hands and knees heaving trying to retain the smallest bit of oxygen, to no avail.

"Akutagawa!" He cried as he rushed to the man's side while dismissing the tiger's claws, but the blood of the woman remained on his hands. Akutagawa had now collapsed to the ground with no strength left to hold himself up. Atsushi rolled him over onto his back and saw the state he was in.
Laboured breaths with blood around his lips, Atsushi blamed himself for not noticing what the woman was doing sooner.

Atsushi pulled Akutagawa so he sat upright slightly leant against him. He cupped Akutagawa's cheek while trying to stop the tears in his eyes but he couldn't.

Akutagawa lightly placed his hand against Atsushi's.

"Don't cry..." He mumbled out as the younger's tears splashed against his face.

"Smile..." His breaths began to grow weaker and weaker as he spoke more.

"Don't speak! Save your breath! I'm sure Kyoka is coming with the agency, Yosano will be able to save you I'm sure!" Atsushi wouldn't accept the idea of Akutagawa dying in his arms. He'd spent three years hurting the man he loved.

He had so many things to say to him, so many things he wished to do with him by his side.
Akutagawa smiled as he lay against Atsushi. He knew he didn't have much longer left. He was just happy to be with Atsushi right now.

"I love you... You know that right?" Akutagawa whispered, despite this being the second time saying that Atsushi still hadn't returned his words in kind.

"Yes! I know! Please just hang in there a bit longer!" He cried holding his hand tighter. Akutagawa smiled, he was glad he knew this. His eyes began to slowly droop closed.

"That's all that matters..." He murmured with his words fading. Atsushi then realised he hadn't returned the man's words.

"No! No! No! Stay awake Akutagawa! Please! Don't leave me here alone!" His tears became even more prominent as he hugged the elders body.

"I love you..." He whispered into his ear. His voice hoarse from shouting. But his words fell upon deaf ears.

(This is not the final chapter!)