Chapter 33

It had been 2 days since Atsushi had been staying at the agency. Due to the fact that Atsushi couldn't remain in the infirmary he was offered a room in the ADA dorms. He initially declined however when he was told he could share with someone he took the offer. However it wasn't until afterward that he realised it was Akutagawa he would be sharing with. Although the man had been nothing but kind to him he still believed he feared him slightly for an unknown reason. But sometimes he just wanted to just be near the man but he could never figure out why.

"Atsushi, it's the morning I made breakfast if you want some?" The pile of blankets moved slightly in agreement. They slowly fell apart and revealed a tired stricken man with crumpled hair. By the bags under his eyes he hadn't slept.

Again.

Akutagwa had moved his bed to one side of the room and laid a futon on the opposite side. The room wasn't too small so they were a solid distance apart. But Atsushi hadn't slept at all for the past two nights, when Akutagawa had awoken early to prior night he had heard him sobbing beneath the blanket. He got up and stood before the pile and was about to remove the blanket when he remembered.

'This isn't my Atsushi. He probably wouldn't like it.'

He had returned to his own bed and slept the rest of the night but felt guilty for not being able to help.

Now he sat at the small table they had eating bacon and fried eggs. Neither of them was picky when it came to food, but Kunikida had taught Akutagawa how to cook a variety of meals when he joined the agency. His words were, "You have to eat something proper or you might end up collapsing while working. I already have to worry about that idiot, I don't need to worry about you not eating as well." So alas Akutagawa had a decent set of cooking skills, but if Gin ever asked he would state he could burn water.

"I have to go with Kyoka to deal with a case in the town centre." Akutagawa stated while the white haired male just nodded, not really taking in his words.

"I spoke with my boss and he said you could join us if you'd like?" Atsushi continued to nod until the words finally sunk in. He looked shocked before asking.

"I can come with you and Kyoka?" Akutagawa nodded.

"To town centre?" He nodded once more.

"And it's okay with the old man?" Akutagawa nodded then stopped. Old man? Did he mean Fukuzawa?

"Yes, I asked my boss myself." Atsushi frowned.

"No, not him. He seems kinda nice. I mean the blonde haired man." Akutagawa stalled in eating his breakfast. He meant Kunikida!?

"Yes, he was fine with it as well." Akutagawa had finished his breakfast at this point. Atsushi looked down at his plate and realised he'd hardly touched it.

"I'm full." He pushed his plate forward and made his way outside, leaving Akutagawa to clean up everything.

Atsushi began to think to himself. "I hope he doesn't catch on too quickly..." he then spotted Kyoka leaving her room with Yosano in tow. He briefly waved before sitting himself on the grass in front of the dorms. Today was going to be a long one for him.

"So you have to deliver a file?" Atsushi questioned Kyoka who had a beige file in hand.

"Yes."

"For a court case?"

"Yes."

"So why are you being the delivery person? Don't you have subordinates to do it for you?" Kyoka and Akutagawa looked between each other. He sounded like an executive.

"Because this is a highly classified court case." Akutagawa explained with a sigh. They had been waiting for this man for 15 minutes now. Did he want this information or not?

"This reminds me of a job I had to do three years ago." Kyoka turned to Atsushi in shock.

"What do you remember about that job?" She was serious immediately.

"I had to deliver some files to a guy. But he was unconscious when I got there. It's a bad memory, it's really blurry." Kyoka felt her heart drop slightly, he didn't remember she was the one who made the man unconscious. She dropped her head in despair, at this rate he wasn't going to get anywhere in remembering things.

"Could you try to focus on that memory? Can you somehow make it clearer?" Akutagwa asked his voice in a neutral tone as he still was watching for the man they were supposed to meet.

"I can try. But usually I don't get far before a migraine hits. It's weird though, the only clear memories I have of the days at the-"

"Are you the Armed Detective Agency?" A man questioned walking up to the three. Ryuunosuke rose to his feet and shook the man's hand.

"Yes, I'm Ryuunosuke Akutagawa. This is my partner Izumi Kyoka. Your name is Kaito Tadashi correct?" The man retracted his hand, not looking too pleased at having to touch Akutagawa.

"Yes, that is my name. But please call me Tadashi." He discreetly wiped his hand on his trousers, Atsushi noticed and was not too pleased.

"Can I have some identification as proof?" Akutagawa questioned, the man's face grew to a quiet rage.

"You know this is addressed to me. Why don't you save us both the hassle and just hand it over."
"I'm afraid I can't do that sir. This is confidential information." Tadashi's face began to grow dark in anger.

"You pathetic man! Hand over the file I have a court case to attend to! I make more in a year than you do in twenty! So stop being so ridiculous and hand it over!" People began to stare but Akutagawa was unbothered.

"I need some identification, sir." Emotionless. As he always was when it came to business. Tadashi was at the end of his patience, he lifted his hand and attempted to land a clean slap to his face. Akutagawa had Rashomon at the ready to stop the man. Since he'd been at the agency he'd learn how to use Rashomon a lot more articulately. He could use the ability stealthy without anyone seeing so stopping him should have been simple unless another factor was added in.

But Atsushi had grabbed his wrist, stopping him.

"I believe he has given a reasonable explanation. So why don't you stop embarrassing yourself and comply." This wasn't the Atsushi Akutagawa knew. He had a darkness to his smile, it reminded him of someone.

Dazai.

He had the cruel sadistic smile that the man used to wear when he knew he had the upper hand on someone. Although that had been a long time ago in the Mafia, he could still remember it.

And it brought a fear Akutagawa had thought was long forgotten.