Panic

(Mania's POV)

...

...

...

What... happened? I-I can't move... I never move against... oh god. They saw her. They all saw her. No... no no no nononononono... th-they'll turn on me. They always do. I-I can't...

Voices. I hear voices. It's too much. Overlapping. Th-They hate me. They hate me. I'm surrounded. I can't see. It's blurred. It's dizzy. I-I can't move.

I-It hurts... it hurts. I can't breathe. Burning. It burns. It burns, but I'm shaking. Numb. I'm numb. I'm...

I'm dead. Dead. Dead dead dead dead deaddeaddeaddeaddeaddeaddeaddea—

*Babump*

...what...

*Babump*

...what was that?

*Babump*

It's... a heartbeat... right?

*Babump*

But mine... mine's fast... w-who...

"...the... st ...eathe..." a voice...? Where... where is it... I... can't move... b-but... I can feel something. I-It's so hard to think...

*Babump*

That. Focus on that. Heartbeat equals alive. ...I can feel... me. My hand... it's... fuck, it's on my neck again... the scar. I should... take it off. It... it doesn't hurt. It doesn't burn. I can breathe.

...

"Mania...?" The voice asked. ...I know it. I know who it is.

"...Daiya." I muttered. I could hear Daiya sigh in relief,

"Yeah. Yeah it's me." He said softly. I can finally see clearly...

"What... what happened?" Was all I could bring myself to say.

__________________________________

(3rd Person POV)

Daiya was holding Mania close, hugging her like she was a fragile doll. Surrounding them was the rest of the misfit class.

Just before the shadow kaiju's hand slammed onto Mania, Leon used his magic to dash to Mania and grab her before she could get hit. Gonta and Mondo used their magic to create a dome around the misfits, keeping them safe against the shadow. Although at first, everyone was crowded around Mania, asking her many questions at once. Was she okay, what was that, etc., and it only worsened Mania's panic attack.

The first to realize Mania was having a panic attack was Taka, who promptly shouted at everyone to quiet down and give her space. Although it helped a little, Mania's panic attacks were different from Taka's. That was when Daiya swooped in. He immediately went to Mania and held her, his hands holding both her head and her back. Having dealt with taking care of Mondo for years, Daiya had experience, luckily enough. By coincidence, Mania was able to listen to Daiya's heartbeat, which was exactly what she needed to bring her back down to reality.

"You... almost died." Leon was the first to finally answer Mania's question, "B-But I managed to save you..." he chuckled weakly,

"Oh..." Mania sighed solemnly. She was an idiot for freezing like that. Her hands, which were previously clutching her neck and chest, now drooped at her sides. She made no effort to leave Daiya's embrace, and frankly she didn't want to,

"Are you okay now?" Daiya asked Mania in a soft spoken voice, letting her go. Mania sighed shakily and wiped away some tears that had fallen once she returned to reality,