The Flight To Orlando

Laura went back to her first class seat and saw Tina sitting there. Tina was a fit African American woman in who looked to be in her late 20s. She had her very shapely legs crossed. Tina had a drink in her hand and looked at Laura as she walked up to retrieve her things.

“So you think you got a chance with that man?” Tina spit out the words while emphasizing the word, “you.”

Laura said “excuse me” as she reached down to get her carry-on from under the seat.

Tina laughed, “Yeah, you think you gonna steal another one of our men. What, there ain’t enough of your own kind?” Tina continued.

Laura was looking down when she said, “I thought slavery was abolished.”

“What did you say?”

“Micheal can have whoever he wants.”

“Did you see how he looked at me? You work with the man and I bet you you haven’t even kissed him.”

Laura looked up to the sky and said, “Why am I talking to you?”

“You ain’t talking to me, I am talking to you.”

“And what are you saying?” Laura said as she looked in Tina’s eyes.

“I am saying that you white girls need to mind your own damn business and stay the hell away from our men.”

“Well for someone who is so concerned about who is with Micheal, you sure gave up your seat mighty fast for a bigger seat and a drink.”

Tina looked in Laura’s eyes angrily. “Well he got my number and we going to the same place…”

“If you are finished then I’m leaving.” Laura said in a sarcastic tone as she turned and walked away.

“Bye Bitch.” Tina said.

Laura stopped for a moment and then continued to walk through the divider separating business class from first class. She then walked over to her seat.

Micheal had one of the free magazines they provide in the airport.

“So do you know her?” Laura asked.

“Naw, just met her.”

“And you have her number?”

“Yep, she practically forced me to take it.”

“Well you have some good friends Micheal.” Laura said in an accusatory way.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

Laura lowered her voice and said, “Your good friend Tina just called me the B word and got angry that I wanted to sit next to you.”

Micheal started laughing.

“It’s not funny…why are you laughing?” Laura said.

“I never had two women, neither of which I am dating, fight over me.”

Laura fought back a smile and said, “I wasn’t fighting, I was simply retrieving my property and this deranged love struck woman was ready to jump me.”

There was a few moments of silence and then Laura said, “I just thought you should know the kind of woman she was before you contacted her. And why are you flirting with her anyway, haven’t you gotten back with Imani?”

Micheal looked down. “OK, enough about me and my love life. You said there was some work to do, what is it?”

Laura grabbed a magazine and said, “How are we going to do any work? This is only a two hour flight. We are going to descend any time now. And really where is the room we are going to work in Micheal?” She smiled.

Micheal smiled and whispered under his breath loud enough for Laura to hear, “I know she didn’t just fight some woman so that we can do some work and then say that we can’t do the work.”

Laura looked at him, she then said, “I didn’t get into a fight over you.” They both laughed.

“Are we going to talk about what happened at the office?” Micheal asked.

Laura thought, “I plan on doing more than talking.” She said, “What is there to talk about?” She had a grin on her face.

Micheal said, “Well we are going to have to talk about this at some point.”

Laura said, “How about we talk about it when we get back to the hotel. In fact we have a whole week to talk about what happened in the office.” Laura reached over and touched Micheal on his thigh and gave it a little squeeze.

Micheal looked like someone removed all the air out of his body. He said in a small voice, “OK.”

Laura had a huge smile on her face and thought, Just like Emily suggested, I’m going for it.

The pilot came on the intercom to inform the passengers in a few minutes they would begin their decent.