Meeting Ms. Simmons

Laura had put on one of her business suits and went down to the continental breakfast on Tuesday morning. She had hoped to run into Micheal, but he was no where to be found.

It was a long night and she wasn’t supposed to see him until 7am when they meet at her room and come down to the conference room together.

Laura recognized a few Applied Research people. They exchanged cordialities, but they didn’t seem as friendly as usual. Laura thought that she is probably in for a war this morning.

She took a small box of of cereal, some milk, and an apple to her room. While she was eating a knock was at the door. Laura walked over and opened to see Micheal in one of his dark business suits. She couldn’t help but have a flash of the last day and what she hoped will happen in the future, but then she said: “Micheal, please come.”

Micheal walked in and said, “I have been going over the numbers and I have no idea how they can blame this on us.”

Laura smiled, “You have been working this morning?”

“Since about 4am.”

“Well I ran into Joe and Carl from Applied Research down at the continental breakfast and they looked like they were ready for a fight.”

Micheal laughed and said, “The best fights are the ones that you can’t lose.”

Laura chuckled but had a bit of apprehension. She then said, “Well let’s go.”

“After you.”

Laura walked out ahead and they boarded the elevator to get to the conference room. Laura and Micheal got to the conference room about 7:55am. There were six seats in the small conference room. There was an overhead projector and a white board as well.

In two of the seats were Joe, the technician that worked most often with Laura and Micheal. In addition there was Carl, Joe’s manager. There was an empty seat at the head of the table.

Laura and Micheal sat across from each other on the far end of the table across from the head of the table.

“We are waiting for Ms. Simmons to get here, then we can start.” Carl said with a forced smile.

There was an awkward silence for about 2 minutes when a very well dressed African American woman walked briskly into the room.

It only took a few seconds before Laura recognized her. It was Tina from the airport. Laura looked over at Micheal and his eyes widened. Laura raised her eyebrows as if to ask, “did you know?” Micheal’s expression showed that he was just as shocked as Laura.

“Please meet Ms. Simmons.” Laura’s eyes widened as she saw Tina standing there. “Tina Simmons from our Baltimore Office.” Carl said.

Tina stuck her hand out and shook Micheal’s hand and then Laura’s hand. “We have met.” Tina said. “It certainly is a small world.” Tina said while laughing in a controlled way. “I never got your name though.” Tina asked Laura.

“Laura….Laura Gallaway.” Laura said to Tina.

“And welcome Mr. Leon.” Tina said to Micheal.

“From our understanding Watt’s Research is in a quandary and needs to get some numbers quickly.” Tina asked.

“That is true.” Laura answered.

“And your owner, a Mr. Stevens. Thinks that the problem is on our company’s end.”

“Yes, Dr. Stevens believes that because I told him that.” Laura said while correcting Tina on Dr. Stevens title.

Tina flashed Laura a cold look. “May I continue…”

“Go ahead.”

“But my research team has assured me that the numbers are correct.”

“I am not sure why we had to get managers and district leaders involved. All we need to do is get you guys to recalculate the numbers.” Micheal interrupted.

“Micheal, we have calculated and recalculated the numbers and we keep getting the same thing.” Joe said almost apologetically.

“Mr. Leon, we are involved to make sure that you get what you need to get. In addition, we need to know exactly how this discrepancy happened so that we can insure that it never happens again.” Tina said.

“Now Mr. Travis and Mr. Perry here will work through this issue.” Tina said while pointing at Joe and Carl. “My supervisor, the VP of operations, has placed this issue at the top of our agenda. Please note, if this issue is your fault, then our fees on this project will probably triple due to all of this last minute work.” Tina said with a devious grin.

“We have set up a work room in our Orlando office. We will be over there in about an hour.” Joe said to Laura and Micheal. Joe then gave Laura and Micheal the directions.

“And one last thing. Mr. Leon, I know you said you like to have fun with your co-workers. Just remember, Applied Research charges by the hour.” Tina grinned.

Joe and Carl looked at each other puzzled.

“We will be there in an hour.” Laura said through gritted teeth.

Micheal and Laura walked to the elevator and then to Laura’s hotel room.

“Did you know?” Laura asked Micheal.

“How could I know?”

“Well you were getting mighty cosey with her at the damn airport.” Laura asked.

“We ain’t got time for this. We need to get our papers together and go meet Joe and Carl at the office.” Micheal said.

“OK, well yes, their numbers are wrong and we have verified that.” Laura said while calming down. “Let’s get over to the office so that we can get those numbers to Dr. Stevens.