Meeting Michael

Laura swiftly moved out of the office with a precision that the power walkers show on their morning walks. Just as she was about to leave the office complex she saw Greg Perry standing right after parking his car. He was a few rows over.

Laura paused for a moment thinking about the life that she had turned down. No doubt it would have been a comfortable life. Greg was a loving and nice man, but now Laura was sure that that her life was not destined to be intertwined with Greg.

She waved cordially, as she had done from time to time since the breakup. Greg waved back and began walking into the office building to get to his VanderHolt office.

Laura jumped into her car and hit the gas to get out of the Office complex parking lot.

Laura drove in excess of the posted speed limits on many occasions on that drive to Atlanta. She took I-24 into Chattanooga. And then on to I-75 down into Atlanta.

She only had to stop her car once to fill the car up with Gas. Laura was on such a mission to get to Atlanta that she didn’t spend much time thinking about what she would say to Micheal. And she wondered what Micheal would do.

She drove into Atlanta airport about 45 minutes before Micheal’s plane would begin boarding. Laura didn’t think she had enough time to park her car in short or long term parking, so she just parked her car in departures and thought that she would worry about getting her car later.

She grabbed her purse and ran out of the car into the airport. She looked at the departures board and saw Micheal’s plane was on time. She saw the gate that Micheal’s plane would be departing from. She ran to that gate.

Atlanta airport is a much larger airport than Nashville’s, so she didn’t have any time to spare. She jumped on the tram that took her over to the concourse and she got to Micheal’s gate about 5 minutes before they started boarding.

There were a lot of people there at the gate and Laura just walked around trying to find Micheal. She couldn’t find him anywhere.

Laura’s hair was a mess as and she looked like she had obviously been in a great hurry up till that time. The adrenalin was still pumping in her body so she couldn’t sit down. She was looking around frantically, trying to see Micheal. And he was no where to be found.

They started boarding the flight and Micheal wasn’t there. As the stewardess called each row the number of people dwindled, down until there were about 15 people left. The stewardess said, “This is the final boarding call for Sunny Airlines Flight 4843, if you do not board now, we will start boarding stand bys.”

Laura looked around and saw Micheal walking up to the gate with what looked like a 20 year old African American woman.

As soon as Laura saw him she ran towards him. “Micheal.”

“Laura?” Micheal asked seemingly completely surprised.

The African American woman offered her hand to Laura and shook her hand and said, “I’m Micheal’s sister, so you are Laura?”

Micheal interrupted his sister and asked, “Laura, what are you doing here?”

Laura pulled out a pen and said, “You forgot this.” Laura squirmed knowing it was a pretty cheesy line.

Micheal laughed and said, “Well I have a plane to catch.” He hugged his sister and began walking towards the gate.

Laura said, “Don’t go.”

Micheal said, “We have been through this Laura.” He continued walking towards the gate.

Laura tried to keep her emotions and her voice down. She said, “We need to talk.”

Micheal slightly elevated his voice. He seemed irritated, he said, “What do you want from me?”

Laura started crying, “I just think we need to be together…There I said it.”

Micheal’s sister had a shocked look on her face.

Micheal looked angry and said, “Why, why do we need to be together Laura.”

The stewardess that was calling for the flight departure was looking intently as well as a few others in the airport and Micheal’s sister were all looking at what was culminating there. They all looked wondering what would happen next.

Laura said in an elevated voice, “You love me.”

Micheal said in a more elevated voice, “I already told you that ain’t enough.” Micheal paused and brought his voice down and took a step towards Laura and said lightly, “Laura it's really been nice, and I mean that, but I need to go now. He then walked towards the gate."

Micheal walked towards the door onto the plane to board the plane. Laura stood there crying now. Uncontrollably crying.

The stewardess began to close to the door when Laura yelled, “Because I love you...You were right Micheal, I love you...you can't go, because I love you." She stood there crying uncontrollably and said it again, “I love you.” Laura turned away and began walking.

Then a few people were clapping. Laura turned and saw Micheal running towards her from the door which was now open.

Micheal hugged her with an intenseness that Laura could not ever remember. The passion began to bubble up from her as she and Micheal kissed, deeply and lovingly. He kissed her and she kissed him.

“I love you,” Laura said as if she had gotten a monkey off of her back. Micheal said, “Laura, I love you.” All of her fear and anxiety were gone as she heard the words come from Micheal’s lips.

Micheal’s sister Laughed and a few people were still clapping in the airport. The Stewardess announced, “In light of the evenings events, we have one more seat on Sunny Airlines Flight 4843.” Another one of the stand-by passengers got to board the plane.

But Micheal and Laura just stood there kissing and holding a warm embrace. Micheal’s sister said, “I ain’t trying to mess up your game, but Mike, I gotta get to work in the morning.”

They laughed and Micheal said, “Laura, this is my sister Karen.”

Karen joked, “So this is the Laura that Micheal can’t stop talking about?”

“Shut up Karen…” Micheal said to Karen playfully.

Micheal then asked Laura, “You think you might have any openings in the Geek squad?”

Laura laughed and said, “You can’t work for me, that would be against the no fraternization policy…” She then said, “Maybe Tina can get me a job down in Orlando, I always wanted to live down there.”

She then stopped and said seriously, “Micheal, I don’t care where I live as long as I am with you.”

Micheal kissed her for a few more minutes before Karen said, “I ain’t playing I’m bout to leave you here.”

Micheal, Laura, and Karen began walking to get out of the airport. Micheal held Laura for the whole walk.

**********************************

One more chapter left. But you can continue to follow Watts Research in Book 2 at this link: http://www.wattpad.com/15426456-not-him-the-office-surprise-an-interracial-romance