The First Date With Greg

Laura got to the Mexican restaurant about twenty minutes earlier than the time she and Greg decided to meet. She walked into the restaurant and looked around.

Laura was pleasantly surprised to see Greg had already gotten there. He was seated in one of the booths. He did not see her as she walked over to him. “So you are an early bird?” She said lightly startled Greg.

He looked over at her stood and shook her hand and said, “Thank you for meeting me, please sit down.”

She sat in the booth in such a way that she could get a good look at Greg. As she remembered he was very attractive. He was slender but not skinny in his business suit. She looked over at his shoulders were broad and his frame solid and attractive. She wondered how it would feel to be in his arms.

“It looks like I got called back to Nashville so I will be on the same flight you’re on.” Laura said to begin the conversation.

“You never told me what you did in Nashville.” Greg said.

Laura remembered telling him, but thought that it is easy to forget certain things like that, although she remembered that Greg was a senior software engineer at VanderHolt. She even remembered that he had seen her in the office. But she was too enamored with his gorgeous face at that point to care all that much. The goatee was so nicely trimmed.

“Oh I am a senior research manager at Watts Research.” She said.

The waiter came over to the table to take their order. Laura just ordered an enchilada meal and Greg ordered a burrito plate.

The conversation continued very well as the two told their life story. Laura told him about her coming to Nashville to work at Watts Research after working as a research assistant in a university physics department.

Greg told her about his Masters degree in business administration and his quickly climbing the ladder at VanderHolt.

They also talked about their relationships. “I have had bad luck with you computer types.” Laura said.

“Huh?” Greg acted like it would be unthinkable that Laura would have relationship issues.

“You guys are either at home playing video games or at work.” Laura said with a smile.

“Well, we are going to have to do something about that…I will hide my video games before I take you home.” Greg.

Laura smiled, “Oh so you are going to take me home, who says I am going home with you.”

“Oh you are going home with me, I guarantee it.”

Laura still smiling said, “Do you say this to all the girls?”

“Just the breathtakingly beautiful ones with a masters degree in physics.” Greg said as they both laughed.

“Why Mr. Perry, if I didn’t know any better, I would think you were trying to seduce me.” Laura said.

Greg chuckled and said, “This is probably too soon, but I have to get serious. I am not looking for a few moments of fun. I am looking for a partner, I am looking for the 2 car garage and 2 point 5 kids with someone to love.”

The conversation turned serious. “You have been married before?” Laura asked.

“Yes, it didn’t work, but I still believe in love…” Greg said.

“It is a lot to take.” Laura said, while she was very happy that Greg was looking to find love as she was.

“Of course we have to get to know each other and go through the rituals of courtship, but I know what I want, and I want to get to know you better.” Greg said. “Now I have probably just scared you off, please let me down easy.” Greg said with a twinkle in his eye like he knew that Laura was not going to let him down.

“No…I am looking for the same thing. Love.” Laura said with a schoolgirl’s grin on her face.

“What does love mean to you Laura.” Greg asked.

“It means a friend. It means someone to fight the world’s battles with. It means someone who will take care of me. It means someone who understands and loves me.” Laura said. She couldn’t help but think of Micheal. Even though she was on the date with Greg. She thought about his kind courteous demeanor. She thought about his allowing her to be her. She then asked Greg. “And what about you?”

“Love means that you don’t mind me playing video games…” They both laughed as the conversation turned to less serous topics.

Greg looked at his watch and said, “We are going to miss our flight if we don’t hurry up.”

They both paid for their portion of the meal and they got into their cars to head to the airport.

“I would say bye, but I am about to see you in a few minutes.” Greg said.

“I can’t wait…” Laura said while smiling.

***

Laura drove over to the airport thinking that she had hit the jackpot. And so she called her friend Emily in the car while driving over to the rental car return. There was a bit of a backup which gave her around 10 minutes to talk.

“Em, Greg is amazing, I can’t wait for you to meet him.”

“Oh the computer programming geek?” Emily said.

“Whatever…but we just had a date…”

“We have been down this road before.” Emily interrupted. “You quickly fall in love with someone that turns out to be exactly what you don’t need. I mean you are five minutes out of Micheal’s bed…”

“Don’t bring up Micheal, that was just a one time fuck. It was nice but that was all it was.”

“Are you sure, for a second there it seemed like he was getting to be more?” Emily asked.

“Aren’t you the one who told me not to get serious?”

“Yes, but then you leave that and jump foot first into something with a mystery man because you like what you see. I mean at least with Micheal you liked him as a person. You two have gotten along…”

“I can’t believe this, you tell me it is just a fling and when I treat it like a fling, you tell me that it should be more?”

“I’m on your side, I want you to get what you want. If this Greg computer geek is what you want then I am all for it…” Emily joked.

“Well, I am about to see him in a few minutes. We are flying back to Nashville together tonight.”

“Be careful Laura…” Emily said.

“I will mom. Can I stay out past curfew?” Laura joked.

“Bye Laura…” Emily said.

***

Laura checked in the rental car and walked over to departing flights and saw Greg standing there. He had a big smile on his face and began walking over to her.

“I need to get one thing out of the way first.” He took her small caryon bag off of her arm and laid it down on the ground. He then eased into her and kissed her.

“So now we don’t have to worry about when or how the first kiss will happen.” Greg said with a smile.

Laura laughed. Greg picked back up her bag and put it on her arm. They walked over to the gate for their flight.

The kiss was not bad, but Laura didn’t feel the fireworks that she had just a last night with Micheal. She thrust aside the thoughts of Micheal and jumped feet first into a conversation about favorite hot spots in Nashville. They set up their next date.