The Faulty Report

With the door still open, Dr. Stephens seemed to visually componse himself and then he said, “Laura, this was your main job. You were to get me the numbers and then put the numbers into the presentation. Was that your understanding?"

"Yes sir, I am...."

"Hold it!" Dr. Stphens said with an emphasis on the first word.

"Now you told me that there were no issue on Friday, didn't you?" Dr. Stephens continued.

"Yes, but Micheal..."

"Stop it! who is the assistant manager? Micheal or you? Becuase I can give him the job right now if you want me to!" Dr. Stephens said in a threatening voice that all on the floor could hear.

"I am the assitant manager." Laura said through clinched teeth.

“Last week you told me the numbers looked good and now you send Micheal into my office to tell me the numbers are off. who’s job is it to get me the numbers?”

“It is my job.”

“Who told me that the numbers were good last week?”

“I did Dr. Stevens.”

“if you want me to work directly with Micheal, I will, but I thought he worked for you.” Dr. Stevens threatened.

"It is my job."

"OK, now we are getting somewhere. You will get me the correct numbers or this company will not survive. You know this." Dr. Stephens continued as if lecturing one of his classes.

“I understand.” Laura answered trying to say as little as possible.

“Let me make this clear, you will get these numbers to me by Wednessday morning. If you do not get them done by then, Micheal will be the new head of the department and you will have your resignation on my desk. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes” Laura said while attempting to hold back her anger and hurt.

Laura then walked out into the office throught he open door. As she looked she could see a number of people moving as if they had been working, but it was clear they all heard what Dr. Stephens had said.

Laura walked up to Micheal’s cube and said, “I guess the job is yours” and then walked back to her office and shut the door.

Laura sat in there for 30 minutes trying to figure out what happened. The only thing that kept coming to her mind was that Micheal had sabatoged the numbers.

She grabbed the report and began working on the numbers. After 2 hours she was at a standstill. The instant messaging box of her computer popped up with a message from Micheal.

"I need to talk to you"

Laura wrote back: "Leave me alone."

Ten minutes later Micheal knocked and then immediately opened her door he said, "I think I know what happened."

Laura said at a volume that only she and Micheal could hear, "I bet you do you backstabbing Asshole."

Micheal then said in a confident tone,  “This backstabbing Asshole is about to save your job... look at this.”

He then threw a paper on Laura's desk.