The New Employee

Laura rushed home after her encounter with Micheal. She didn’t have a lot of time to prepare for her date with Greg. There wasn’t enough time to really process what was going on with her and Micheal and what she wanted to happen between the two of them.

She got home and rushed a shower. She then put on a functional but slightly tightly fitting red dress that dropped a little above her knees. Her curves really filled in the dress. She applied her makeup and was putting on her shoes when the knock came to the door. She opened the door to find Greg Perry standing there.

She smiled as he stood there in a nice fitting short sleeve short and some blue pants with a jacket and some light shoes. Greg Walked in and grabbed Laura and kissed her. He then said, “That is so that we will get it out of the way now.”

Laura smiled and said, “This is becoming a tradition.”

“I don’t like to break traditions.” Greg said, he then took a step back and looked at Laura. He said, “stunning.”

Laura did a cute curtsey and said, “Why think you Mr. Perry.” Greg led her to the car.

While driving to the restaurant Greg attempted to make conversation and Laura attempted to comply, but she couldn’t get Micheal out of her mind. She wanted to give the date the attention it deserved, but she also wanted to get back to Micheal.

What is she doing? She kept asking herself. She continued to think about Micheal’s question to her back at his apartment, when he asked what is holding you back?

“Earth to Laura.” Greg said lightly to gain Laura’s attention.

“Oh I’m sorry did you say something?”

“Did I get you at a bad time? You seem so preoccupied today.”

“Oh please don’t hold it against me, it is not about you, I just…it won’t happen again.” Laura said.

“It better not.” Greg teased playfully.

Laura laughed and tried to keep her thoughts on this nice looking and seemingly good guy standing in front of her rather than the one she just left.

They made it into the restaurant. It was one of those chain restaurants with decent food decent lighting and decent pricing. Greg did not seem to be pulling out all the stops, but it was their first real date.

The conversation in the restaurant picked up as Laura got into it. She found Greg to be a nice guy who she wanted to get to know better as the dinner came to an end. “I am going to take you to the best restaurant in Nashville next time.” Greg said.

Laura smiled knowing that Greg seemed to be attempting to set up the next date. “Don’t make me wait too long for it.” Laura said.

As they walked to the door of the restaurant on the way to the car they saw a big mirror. Laura looked in it and saw that she and Greg looked like they just fit together. She smiled at the reflection. She thought that Greg just may be the one.

Greg drove her home after dinner and walked her to the door. Laura said, “I know that we already got this out of the way but…” Laura then leaned forward for the good night kiss. Greg kissed her.

Greg asked, “Can I come in for a cup of coffee?”

Laura smiled, “Goodbye Greg…”

“Goodbye Laura.”

Laura closed the door and went in. A wave of fatigue hit her as the last week of running around overtook her and she laid down in her clothes on the sofa and went to sleep. In fact she slept a good part of the weekend.

***

Monday morning Laura was refreshed and ready for work. She walked into the Watt’s Research office and saw Carol sitting there as usual. And next to her was another big bouquet of flowers.

“Laura, Dr. Stevens is here and wants to talk to both you and Micheal in the conference room now.” Carol said.

“Is Micheal in yet?”

“Yes, he got in a few minutes ago.”

“Is there anything else.”

“Don’t forget your flowers.” Carol said

“My Flowers?”

“He dropped them off again.”

Laura took the flowers and glanced at the card. It read, “Let’s make more traditions, Greg.”

Her eyes twinkled as she took the flowers into her office. She then rushed over to the conference room and saw Micheal, Dr. Stevens, and a slender blonde woman sitting there next to Dr. Stevens. They were all talking.

Dr. Stevens saw Laura and said, “Laura please come in.”

Laura walked in and could see the blonde woman’s shapely legs in her business suit the skirt of which seemed a bit too short for Laura’s liking.

“Laura I want you to meet our new Human Resources person Ms. Ashley Miller.” Dr. Stevens said.

Ashley stood up and revealed a small waist and legs that seemed to never end. Laura thought that she saw Micheal looking a little bit too long at her graceful body. Her face was beautiful as well. Laura always thought that she had to work a little too hard to keep her body from getting too big, but Ashley looked like she could eat a pizza every night and not gain any weight.

“A HR person?” Laura asked as she shook Ashley’s hand.

“Yes, we are about to go through a growth spurt and currently our Human Resources need a lot of work.” Dr. Stevens said.

“You guys have done a lot with very little. But it is time set up processes that can lay a foundation for future growth.” Ashley said.

“I expect that two will help her. If this VanderHolt deal happens, then we will need to hire in a lot more staff and we need to be ready for it.” Dr. Stevens said.

Laura kept exchanging glances to see where Micheal’s eyes were going.

“Sounds good to me, you can talk to me whenever you wish.” Micheal said while shaking Ashley’s hand.

Ashley and Dr. Stevens talked about what Ashley’s role would be in the company. Ashley then talked about some immediate changes that would happen.

“We are about to go through a growth spurt. I want to make it possible that we get the best people. The first thing that I talked to Dr. Stevens about is the need for a educational reimbursement plan. We need to train out people if we are to keep them.” Ashley said.

“We also need to remove the stipulation for work hours. You are professionals and you probably put in much more than 40 hours anyway.” Ashley continued.

“We need to update our conflict of interest policy…We also need to update our fraternization policy. If you find someone you love at work then good for you. For example, if for example, I fell in love with Micheal here, why should Dr. Stevens care as long as my work does not suffer and Micheal doesn’t report directly to me?” Ashley said with a smile while she looked at Micheal. Micheal grinned like he just stole the cat. Laura winced.

Ashley continued to give her presentation. Laura really had not reason to dislike Ashley, but she did. And she didn’t like the way that Micheal was looking at her even though she had already said that she didn’t want him.