An Unexpected Date

The anxiety threatened to eat Laura’s insides up. It was only an hour before she would meet Micheal. It was only an hour before she would come face to face with her dreams and allow Micheal the opportunity to hurt her or please her.

Laura laid the most sexy dress she owned on the bed. It was red, short, and tight. It accentuated all of Laura’s curves.

As she sat there pondering the upcoming events she wondered what she would say to Micheal. And more importantly what would Micheal’s response be. Would he ignore her pleas? Would he still want to leave Nashville? Would he declare love for another person? Was it too late?

Laura had to admit to herself that she had been the main cause for the reality that the relationship had stalled. But now, come what may, she thought that she would come face to face with Micheal. In addition, she would come face to face with her fear.

While all of these things were going through Laura’s head there was a knock at the door that startled Laura out of her daze. She was not expecting anyone. Not tonight. She grabbed a robe and walked to the door.

While Laura walked to the door, she could hear the door opening so she knew it was Greg. Greg and Laura’s mother were the only people who had keys to her door. She walked out towards the front door and saw Greg standing there.

Greg was dressed as if for a date. He had an awkward and forced smile on his face. He also was sweating like he was very nervous. Laura thought he was scared.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen? Is everything all right Greg?” Laura asked.

Greg walked over to Laura and took her hand. He then said, “Laura, you are the best thing that has ever happened to me…I tell you all the time, but you really need to know that I love you.” Greg said.

Laura immediately got very nervous. She tried to get Greg to change the subject. She said, “Of course you love me. What’s not to love?” Laura said flippantly. “Now come on what are you doing here?” She playfully put her hands on her hips.

“Laura, I have looked my life for someone like you. You have made my world worth living.” Greg’s hands were shaking as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small black box.

Laura was thinking, no not now, how could it happen now? Her hands quivered as she thought about the possibilities.

Greg then went down on one knee. Laura felt a little light headed and beads of sweat grew on Greg’s forehead.

Then Greg began to speak, “Laura Beach, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?” He opened the box and began to place the ring and began to put it on her ring finger.

Laura was excited and scared. She was expecting this some time, just not now. Laura took her hand from Greg before he could put the ring on it and picked him up.

Laura and Greg embraced tightly, but they didn’t say anything for a few seconds. After a few moments, Greg asked, “Are you going to give me an answer?” His voice was still shaking.

Laura whispered, “You have to give me time to think.”

Greg still had anxiety showing in his voice. He said, “I have a whole evening planned to try to convince you to take this step with me. So get ready we are going on the town.”

Laura thought immediately about telling Greg that she had other plans. She thought about how much she needed to see Micheal. But then she realized that Greg’s torture was largely due to her not being clear to Greg and ultimately herself. She loved Micheal.

Greg noticed the apprehension in Laura and said, “Come on you owe me this much.”

Laura thought that it was true. She owed him at least one last date for being a great guy and putting up with her madness. She smiled and said, “Give me a few minutes and I will be ready.”