Getting Ready For The Party

The next few weeks Micheal and Ashley worked very closely together. Micheal had to quickly hire 2 people that could hit the ground running and move Micheal’s team forward. Laura noticed that the work seemed to go home with them as they would at times refer to work they had done at home or in each other’s apartments. Every-time Laura heard something like that it would cut her deeply. For example, one day, Micheal was talking to Ashley about a resume that he was looking at.

Micheal said, “Yes, there was this very good guy that you vetoed, Ashley.” He touched her and laughed.

“I don’t remember that Mike, you are lying on me.” Ashley said.

Laura thought that now she was calling him Mike.

“You know, we were in my apartment a few days ago…” Micheal looked at her and then said, “Come on Ash…You remember, it had that crazy typo.” Micheal said.

Then Ashley started laughing, “Oh yeah, naw, you don’t want that guy.” Ashley said while laughing hysterically.

Laura stood there looking like the only one who didn’t get the joke.

“I guess you had to be there.” Ashley said while looking at Laura.

To her credit, Ashley seemed to be trying to be nice to Laura. And Laura really tried to do the same thing, but she always felt like Ashley was stealing her man, even though she knew that she didn’t move forward.

Laura really missed Micheal. Their work relationship, and even more what might have been with their personal relationship.

Laura really didn’t know for sure that Micheal and Ashley were dating, but the thought that they might be ate her up inside.

At the same time the office was abuzz with the two big events that were coming up. The office holiday party and the Alaskan Cruise.

This year there would be two office parties. First there would be a party during the work day just with the coworkers and later that evening in a dine in situation. The dine in would allow friends and family to come and hang out together.

Carol was working hard to make both events spectacular even though it was a month away in Mid November. She worked hard especially in light of the fact that it would be a lot bigger than last years party which consisted of Carol, Micheal, and Laura eating out at a local restaurant while Dr. Stevens called in saying he was going to miss it.

***

Micheal ended up hiring an old college buddy by the name of Steve Bray. He was a well dressed averaged sized Caucasian man. There was a lot of comrodare between Micheal and Steve. Some of the things that Micheal used to ask Laura about he now asked Steve.

Then Micheal hired Janet Mills, an African American woman who was Ashley’s best friend. She was an elegant, regal woman who carried herself as if she were going places.

***

Laura was out on her weekly evening dinner with Emily. They sat in the restaurant eating and catching up.

“The office is totally different Em. I don’t know if I even have much of a place left.” Laura said.

“Oh come on you and Micheal run the place.”

“Ashley and Micheal run the place…and they are probably together somewhere right now.”

“You are not still pining over that guy are you? If you want him, it is time to go get him. And drop that dead weight you holding on to right now.”

“Greg is a nice guy.”

“I didn’t say he wasn’t, but do you want a nice guy or do you want someone who is gonna make your toes curl?”

“I think he is going to ask me to marry him.” Laura said while looking into space.

“You are not going to marry him. OK, yes he is a nice guy, and he obviously is trying, but you don’t love him. Do you?”

“I can learn to love him. He just tries so hard.” Laura said.

“Let me ask you this, how hard to Micheal try when he sent your insides into orbit?”

“Micheal has moved on, and I have moved on. It has been four or five months since we had our encounter.”

“I repeat my question that you didn’t answer. Do yo love Greg?”

Laura looked at Emily sadly, “Em, I really believe that I can learn to love him.”

“There’s my answer…Stop wasting his and your time Laura.”

Laura changed the conversation. Emily periodically would bring the conversation back to Micheal and Laura’s need to move forward and get him before it was too late. But Laura would change the subject.

***

Later that night, Laura went home. Greg had some flowers delivered home. Laura was actually getting sick of flowers.

She turned on the television. It was about 10:30 pm then and Laura felt like she just wanted to hear Micheal’s voice. She picked up the phone and called Micheal on his cell phone.

A woman’s voice answered the phone. “Hello.” Laura thought she recognized the voice, she said, “Ashley, hello?”

Ashley responded, “Laura? Oh hold on Mike is right here. He is teaching me cards.” Ashley laughed.

Ashley heard what sounded like a party going on. She thought she heard Steve and maybe Janet in the background.

“Oh no, don’t bother him, I will talk to him tomorrow.”

“Oh, OK.” Ashly said while hanging up the phone.

Laura sat there and thought about the times of the past.