The Office Lunch

The next day Laura was thinking all day about her conversation with her mother as well as her feelings for Micheal. That day it seemed like she had more encounters with Micheal than usual.

She ran into him at the copy machine and her meetings in the conference room where either with Micheal or right after Micheal was leaving the room.

At lunch time there was a little agitation in the office common area. Laura heard a lot of laughing. Then Janet, one of Micheal’s subordinates, stuck her head in Laura’s door and asked, “Hey Laura, we headed for Chinese, you in?”

“Who’s going?”

“Ashley, Micheal, and Steve so far.”

Laura thought that Ashley and Micheal are almost inseparable. But she knew that she had to begin the separation process if she was going to win Micheal back.

“Hold on, I’m coming.” Laura said.

Laura walked out to the common area. By that time there was Steve, Micheal, Janet, Ashley, And Terry from the geek squad.

“OK, who’s driving?” Laura asked.

“Well, I hitched a ride to work…” Micheal said.

“When are you going to get a dependable car?” Laura asked Micheal.

“Oh you can ride with me whenever you want.” Ashley answered.

“I can fit everyone in my SUV.” Terry said.

They all walked out to the car and began piling in. Laura situated herself where she would be sitting right next to Micheal. On the other side of Micheal was Ashley.

Laura thought for a moment about the last time they were that close together at work. The time in the elevator. She wanted to let her fingers start traversing over Micheal’s body, but she thought better of it.

It was a fun afternoon and the time flew by. It was about two hours and Micheal stood up and said, “Folks, I didn’t want to tell you all this, now, but I figured that now is as good a time as any. I have had a great time working with you all.”

Ashley started to look shocked and the other workers were looking surprised.

“I have been with the company in good times as well as bad, and now is the time.”

It was really looking like Micheal was leaving the company.

Micheal continued, “Earlier today, I gave Dr. Stevens my resignation from Watts Research. It was great working with you all.”

One could hear a gasp. Ashley asked frantically, “Where are you going?”

“I am going to work for Applied Research in Orlando Florida, Tina told me about a position down there.”

“So you are leaving Nashville?” Ashley asked.

“Yes.”

Ashley walked out

Micheal began shaking a few hands and talking to other co-workers.

Steve leaned over to Laura and said, “Ashley acts like they are dating.”

Laura looked shocked, “You mean they aren’t dating?”

Steve laughed, “She keeps trying, but Micheal told her that nothing was gonna happen.”

Laura immediately experienced some mixed emotions. She was happy to learn that Ashley and Micheal were not dating, but she was sad to find out that he was leaving. She walked over to Micheal and shook his hand. She wasn’t sure what to say.

“I’m gonna miss you Micheal.” Laura said.

“I’ll miss you to Laura.” Micheal said.

Then a few more people came up and talked to Micheal.

The drive back to the office was full of talk about Orlando and what was to come. It looks like for the next 2 weeks Micheal would be training Steve to take his position. Ashley was sitting in the corner of the car without saying anything.

When they got back to the office Ashley went to her office. Probably to sulk, Laura thought.

Laura went to her office and called Emily. “Micheal…he’s leaving Nashville.”

“When?”

“Two weeks.”

“One thing I did find out is that he isn’t dating Ashley…Well, we do have that card game tonight.”

“Yeah, weren’t you going to take Greg.” Emily said.

“Em, you know I am not going to bring Greg to that game.”

Emily laughed and asked, “OK so what are you going to do?”

“I am going to get that man.” Laura said with a clarity that she had never given to Emily before.

“You mean you are going to fuck him one last time? I mean he is leaving Nashville in a week right?” Emily asked confused.

“I don’t care if he is going to the Moon, I am going to get my man. Are you going to help me?” Laura asked.

“It is about time!” Emily yelled.

They both laughed.

“You don’t have to ask, just tell me what you want.”

“I am not sure, but can you be my partner. Everyone else is paired up, Steve and Janet, as well as Ashley and Micheal.”

“OK…” Emily responded.

“But don’t show up unless I call you, I am going to give our friend Micheal a surprise visit about a couple of hours early.” Laura said.

“Hmmm” Emily said.

“If I don’t call you then don’t come.”

“What are you going to wear?” Emily asked.

“As little as possible.”

There was a knock at Laura’s door. Laura told Emily to hold on. Laura then told the person at the door to open. Then Micheal walked in.

“Hey Laura, Ashley just backed out of the card game tonight, she is pretty upset about my leaving. Looks like it is just Janet, Steve, Greg, me, and you.”

“Oh, I meant to tell you, Greg is too busy to come, so it looks like we will be teammates again.”

Micheal stopped, looked, and then said, “Oh, OK, sounds good. It has been a while.”

Micheal then walked out.

A big smile emerged on Laura’s face as she thought about the night. She put the phone back to her ear.

“Hey Em…” Laura said.

“I heard through the phone what Micheal said, I guess you don’t need me to do anything.” Emily interrupted and laughed.

“No, I don’t need you tonight. Bye Em.”

Laura hung up and felt an intense burden off of her as she thought to herself what she never allowed herself to think about before, that she loved Micheal, and that she was ready and willing to move forward with him.