Telling The Boss The Error

Michael gracefully walked into Laura’s office. While Laura was not short at 5" 10 inches tall, Michael peered down from his 6 foot 2 inch muscular frame. He always had sharp edges on his very short haircut. Laura thought about the conversation she just had with Emily and how well that suit fit his body and what might lurk beneath the professional exterior that she could only see during work hours.

Laura’s eyes began to gravitate towards the region that Emily had just a few minutes spoken of, but then jerked her eyes back up to his head and his deep penetrating eyes.

“Yes, what is it Michael?” Laura asked with a sincere but slightly mischievous smile.

“The numbers don’t add up.” Michael said forcefully and confidently.

“What numbers?” Laura asked not really knowing what Micheal was talking about.

“The presentation number. Dr. Stephen’s numbers. The numbers that we have been working on for the last three months!” Micheal said in an increasingly upset voice.

“What?!” Laura said and she walked over to the door to close it.

“What are you telling me?” Laura continued.

Micheal put a spreadsheet on Laura’s desk.

“The model provides these numbers.” Micheal pointed to some numbers. “…but our estimates say that the numbers should be at least 30% more. Something is missing.” Micheal said.

“No, No, No…you are missing something!” Laura Yelled. “We have to give this report to Dr. Stephens today.” Laura said. “Dr. Stephens is going to present the report in Orlando Tomorrow.” Laura continued.

Your and my job depend on this, and you are just now telling me? What the hell are you doing?” Laura snapped.

“I am just as surprised as you are Laura, I just found it out myself.” Michael said calmly and deliberately. We have to fix this, but we have to tell Dr. Stevens now.” Michael continued.

“You messed this up, so you tell him.” Laura snapped thinking about how her all expense paid week of fun in the sun might be burned into a pink slip and a trip to the employment office.

“You are ultimately responsible for the model Laura. You are the assistant manger.” Micheal said still speaking calmly.

“Yeah your boss is telling you to go tell Mr. Stephens.” Laura said with determination.

“OK.” Michael said throwing his hands in the air in resignation.

“Just go...go....” Laura said as if she wanted him to do it right now.

Micheal opened the door and walked out of the office.

Laura stood there blindsided. What happened? We looked over the numbers last week, I know it was right. And what was Micheal so calm about?

The whole floor heard Dr. Stephens yelling expletives. A few seconds later Micheal came to the door and said, “Dr. Stevens wants you in his office right now.”

OK, now it is about to hit the fan. Laura thought to herself.

Laura got up and walked out of her office and right past Micheal who was standing there with a look of “I told you so” written all over his face. She walked by him without saying a word. Laura walked across the back of the floor to Dr. stephens office which was about 5 doors down.  

Laura knocked on Dr. Stephens open door.

“Laura, get in here,” Dr. Stephens said with a very angry tone in his voice.