A Promise of Paradise

Laura Beach drove up to the 1034 Eastside Lane office building and parked. She looked at the 6 story building which was about 5 miles from downtown Nashville, Tennessee at 1:10pm. Laura walked into the building through the automatic glass doors as they opened up. She saw about ten people in the lobby waiting for an elevator ride. Laura had missed the after lunch rush by taking lunch about 15 minutes later than everybody else.

Most of the people in the lobby were employees of VaderHolt, Inc, the largest employer in the city had taken up of about half of 1034 Eastside Lane. The elevator opened and 8 people walked into the elevator, one elderly gentleman asked everyone which floor they were going.

“Three, Two, Five” and Laura said “Six.” Watts Research had the north end of the six floor dedicated to their employees. Laura exchanged a smile and a glance with a few people. She was the only one from Watts Research on the elevator.

Laura walked off the elevator and punched in her code to get into the Watts research side of the building.

“Hello Laura,” Carol, the receptionist greeted Laura.

Carol is a thirty something brunet who is attempting to spend all of her adult years in school. She already has 2 masters degrees one in English and the other in Mayan Religion. Now she is taking this job as she works on a bachelor’s degree in education. She is attractive, but she dresses in plain and unflattering clothes.

“Hello Carol,” Laura responded.

Laura walked by Micheal Leon’s cube.

“Hey Micheal I need to see you in a bit” Laura said to Micheal.

Micheal spun around his seat and said, “No problem.” Micheal said in response.

Micheal had just turned 30 and has put together a technical background with a MBA. He hopes to move up the ladder. He is a very attractive African American man whose body looks as though he spends all of his free time in the gym, probably lifting weights. When he comes around you can see even some of the older women holding their gaze just a little longer than usual.

Laura then walked pass her old cube that still had her name on it. She smiled as she turned the corner to go into her new office.

Micheal’s time will come, but it ain’t here now. Laura said to herself as she beat him out for the promotion that landed her both the office and the title of Senior Research Manager.

Laura opened the door to her office. It was a small one, barely able to hold a desk and a plant, but she smiled as she thought about this external symbol of her accomplishment.

Laura shut her desk and walked behind her desk to sit down. She cut on her computer and sat down on her small black office chair. While her computer was booting up Laura decided to call her best friend Emily Gallaway.

She dialed her up and they immediately began talking. Emily told Laura about her latest date at “Home town Grill.”

“I am tired of these nerds Laura.” Emily said.

“They never go to the gym, they are scared to ask you out, they want to “get lucky” and are scared to do anything if you so horny you willing to give them some.” Emily continued.

“I don’t think it is nerds not getting some that is your problem em.” Laura said laughing.

“OK, so you gonna play Dr. Phill today. What is my problem?”

“you and I both know that your problem is not too much restraint but too little.”

“You better get out of this town before I have to go over there and bop you on your head.” They both laughed.

“Yeah you right, I can’t wait till I can get out of this city.” Laura Beach almost shouted through the phone as her friend Emily Gallaway chuckled from the other end.“There is just one more day tillI get toparadise. You know how much I need this vacation.” Laura continued.

“Isn't this supposed to be a work trip?” Emily asked playfully.

“See you playing, but I’m gonna give you the itinerary."

“Monday afternoon fly to Orlando.”

“Tuesday morning drop off the report to Dr. Stevens.”

“Tuesday night through Sunday night, fun, sun, and if I’m lucky a little romance.” Laura and Emily both laughed.

“Is that fine chocolate hunk in your office Michael Leon coming?” Emily asked with an expectant tone. “Maybe not romance, but I sure would love to have some fun in the sun with that.” Emily continued.

“Now you know you need to shut up with that” Laura stated emphatically. “Interoffice dating can get you fired, and I really need this job. Besides I have never dated a black guy before. I ain’t in for all have baby momma drama and...”

“Big Packages” Emily interrupted as they both laughed. 

“Well I wouldn’t know about that, and I ain’t interested. It is time for me to get serious, find a man to settle down with, at least that’s what my mother keeps telling me. Besides he has a very nice girlfriend.” Emily said.

“Come on let’s get back to earth. I really need to unwind, it has been so long since I have gotten out of the city. The last time I had a vacation was before the divorce. I really need this.” Emily continued.

A box popped up on Laura’s computer screen that said, “I need to see you immediately. – Micheal Leon”

“Hold on Em” Laura said to Emily as she typed out a response:

“Give me 5 minutes and then come on up.” Laura typed in response.

“OK EM, I need to get some real work done, Micheal is coming in about 5 minutes.” Laura said in a businesslike tone.

“Micheal huh? Emm hmm… Don’t forget what I said.” Emily said as she laughted.

“Bye, Bye, Emily, I’m getting back to work.” Laura ended the conversation.

Laura’s heart skip a beat as she thought about what Emily had just said.

Laura smiled before composing herself. When Michael knocked on the door.

--MORE TO COME--