Chapter 1 - Captain Leah Anderson (Season 1)

Year: 850
Location: Stohess, Wall Sina

Leah forced a deep sigh from her lungs and her green eyes drooped with exhaustion as she finished signing off the last of what felt like an eternity of paperwork. She ran a hand through her wavy copper hair, inhaling deeply and stretching out her legs under the desk. Office work was slowly killing her. She craved action and excitement and adrenaline; something her current position in the Garrison sorely lacked.

For the first time ever, part of her regretted transferring from the Scouts all those years ago - she knew for a fact that the action there would be constant and not just every other month like here in the inner city Garrison.

She lifted her gaze from the papers piled neatly in front of her for the first time in hours when a soft knock sounded at her office door.

"Come in." Leah replied to the knock, her voice croaking slightly. Was that the first time I'd spoken all day? She pondered.

"I have a message for you, Captain." One of her soldiers, Anka, forced out the sentence; her breath came in ragged gasps, betraying to Leah that she had run here in a sense of urgency.

As she continued she saluted to Leah stiffly, her limbs shaking from lack of oxygen.

"It's from Commander Erwin Smith, Ma'am. He's requested that you return to the Survey Corps immediately."

Leah gave Anka a nod as she spoke and she dropped the salute and relaxed. Once she'd finished speaking and before her words actually registered in Leah's brain, Leah waved a hand at the chair on the opposite side of her desk, inviting Anka to sit.

Anka accepted gratefully.

Leah's eyes eventually widened as she digested Anka's words. It had been years since Leah had worked with the Scouts. Since becoming commander, Erwin himself had told her that letting Leah transfer branches was the biggest mistake the Scout regiment has ever made. His flattery never worked to sway Leah's decision though. She was more stubborn than a mule.

She didn't know what made him think it would be any different this time he asked.

"Oh, he has, has he?" Leah's voice was dripping with amusement. Anka nodded, her breath returning to her and the rose colour in her cheek fading.

"Anything else, Anka?" Leah quirked her brow, giving Anka an expectant look. She shifted nervously under Leah's gaze, hesitant to continue as if she already knew how Leah would react.

"Yes... ehm... Commander Erwin is actually waiting for you... downstairs..."

Leah stood abruptly, her chair screaming in protest as it scraped across the wooden floorboards below their feet. Anka jumped in her seat. Without a second thought Leah marched from the room, muttering a rushed 'thank you' and 'you're dismissed' to Anka as she exited her office for the first time since this morning.

Erwin's boldness angered her. She respected him deeply, but if he expected her to drop her life in the Garrison and move to join his suicide squad, he had another thing coming.

When she reached the bottom floor of the Garrison Headquarters, Leah's eyes immediately landed on the tall blonde male; he stood with his back to her, surrounded by half a dozen Scouts, each of them in their green capes with the signature wings of freedom decorating the back.