Chapter 35 - Centipede?

"We're going to need to split up." Levi grunted, "One group will go to the tail and save Armin. We're gonna need the Colossal titan's explosion. The other group are going to go towards his head and finish the job Leah and Pieck started by blowing up his neck. We'll launch two teams and launch a two prong assault. We... no longer have the luxury of worrying about Eren. Hell, we never had it to begin with."

"But... Captain..." Mikasa breathed in disbelief.

"Mikasa, I'm sorry. He's right. We've done all we can to save Eren. Now we need to focus on saving the rest of humanity." Leah pulled herself up as she spoke. Her jaw set stubbornly, showing that there was no changing her mind.

"But what, Mikasa?! If Falco hadn't miraculously flown in and saved us, we'd already be dead!" Connie's harsh words were like a slap in the face to Mikasa, who's eyes widened in realisation: everyone had already come to terms with Eren's death, and now it was her turn.

"That's right," Agreed Jean. "And we wouldn't have accomplished a single thing."

"You too?!" Her voice quivered.

"Tsk. Damn it. I had a long list of things to tell that dumbass off about. Shit" Said Levi gravely, bracing his body against the winds of flying.

"Look, I don't wanna give up on Eren either. But hell, thanks to my screw up Captain Levi can hardly fight at this point. And even if he were fine, were against the founding titan! How can we win if we hold back?!" Connie screeched, tears beading from his eyes.

"That's it decided then. Let's end this once and for all." Leah squeezed her eyes shut, bowing her head slightly, "I suppose that's why we all joined the Scouts in the first place, to make a difference. Well now's our chance. Our only choice... is to kill Eren."

Leah looked back up at everyone from under her eyebrows, a fiercely determined fire burning in her verdant eyes. There was something unsettling about the look on her face, that caused Mikasa's mouth to drop open in shock, for Jean to grit his teeth and for Annie to silently admire the woman's resolve.

It was the face of a fighter; a warrior. The face of someone that's already lost almost everything, with only one precious thing left to fight for, that she'd do anything for. Leah was ready to fly to hell and back if it meant her allies survived, and she was going to ensure that's what happened even if it was the last thing she did.

The only thing that had been holding her back throughout life had been the real fear of losing everyone. But now, everyone she cared about was right before her, in dire danger and in need of saving. All those years ago, when the titan's first breached Wall Maria and swarmed her home, Leah had failed to save the people that meant the most to her, and this self-hatred and blame had inadvertently led to this moment; her chance to finally redeem herself.

It was Leah's chance to make things right.

"Mikasa, you can just concentrate on rescuing Armin. Leave the rest to them, you don't have to think about it." Annie encouraged the girl, who's eyes overflowed with tears.

Falco's bird-titan swooped over Fort Salta, making a wide u-turn which sent them back in the direction of Eren's founder. As they climbed in altitude, Reiner shouted words of caution to the young blonde boy. "Falco, look out for projectiles! Incoming!!"

A round of arrows, let loose by the War-hammer reincarnations, shot towards them. Leah set her body as the bird beneath her dove and spun to avoid being wounded, before finally settling on a stomach churning dive.

They rocketed towards the founder, dropping at such a rate that Leah felt her insides swimming uncomfortably inside her. The g-force emptied the air from her lungs and made it almost impossible to hold on, and yet they all managed.