Chapter 23.5 - Happy Birthday

A/N: Hey! Thanks for all the love and support on my book recently, I'm glad you're all enjoying it - since we're closing in on the more serious parts of the storyline I've decided to bless you all with a small "special" type chapter. It's based between the Medal Ceremony and when they finally reach the sea and won't be significant to the progression of my fanfic - so feel free to skip! If you decide to continue reading, please enjoy my attempt at fluff :)

With love, Author <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bronze key slotted perfectly into the lock on the front door and as Leah twisted it, a soft click sounded in the crisp winter air. She turned on the door step to fix the shivering teenagers before her a stern look. Each of them hugged themselves in an attempt to keep warm, their breaths visible clouds in the air.

"Now don't touch anything. I've spent two days straight trying to get this place ready. Got it, brats?" Leah pointed a finger at them all. They nodded obligingly. "Please c-can we just go inside? It's freezing." Jean complained, his teeth chattering together audibly.

Rolling her eyes, the Captain pushed the front door open and stepped into the house, pleasantly surprised by the heat it had generated. "Shoes off. I don't want you trailing snow inside."

One by one the young Scouts slowly filed in, removing their winter boots and tucking them neatly by the door. Leah pondered a second before shaking her head, "It kind of defeats the idea of a surprised if all your shoes are at the front door. Follow me."

Leah led them through to the spare bedroom downstairs where they deposited their shoes and coats. "I'll put the fire on, Leah." Mikasa offered, as they all returned through to the open kitchen and living room. Connie and Jean were quick to claim the sofa by the fire, while Sasha lingered by the banquet of food set out on the dining table.

"Thanks, Mika- No- Sasha, don't you dare eat any of that." Leah slapped her hand away as she went to reach for a boiled potato. The girl pouted and slumped away. "Hey Sash, come sit with us!" Connie pat the spot next to him.

"Here, let me help you." Eren knelt next to Mikasa to help her light the fireplace. Leah leaned against the kitchen counter and watched the youngsters absentmindedly; all that was left of her Scouts - almost. Most notably, her Co-Captain and Commander were absent from the group.

"Leah, when will Hange be here with Levi?" Armin asked. Leah glanced out the window. The snow had started falling again, though just a light dusting. "Good point, Armin. They should be here soon- guys! I think we should get into our places. Let's go." Leah clapped her hands and everyone rose with a groan, most loudly being Floch.

"I don't see why we all had to come." He grumbled as they trampled down the hallway behind Leah towards the staircase. Floch exclaimed in pain seconds later when Jean elbowed him in the side. "Because it's Captain Levi's birthday, dickhead."

The landing at the top of the stairs revealed 3 doors, Leah led them towards the one straight ahead. "Alright, there's all his presents. I think I've labelled which ones are from who so he can just pick them out himself. Does everyone remember the plan?"

There was an exhasperated yes from the teens and Leah grinned. "Alright, as soon as you hear the code word, you're go- see you in a bit!" Leah rushed from the room, closing the door behind her and leaving them all in the comfortable office space.

Back downstairs, Leah hurriedly fixed her hair in the mirror before giving the room a once over. The plan was she'd hide downstairs and pretend she was the whole surprise, so that when Levi ventured upstairs he'd get a second surprise.