Chapter 36 - The Battle Of Heaven & Earth (Finale)

Stood against a backdrop of flames and cinders was Eren's final form; a towering Colossal titan with a face free from benevolence and a head full of long, charcoal hair. With every passing second he tread closer, inching with giant, earth-shattering steps towards the plateau.

"This is bad!" Gabi's panicked tone broke Leah out of her trance and she finally tore her gaze away from Eren's advancing figure. "If that glowing worm-thing finds its way back to Eren the rumbling might start again."

"Yeah, we gotta kill it somehow." Connie adjusted his hold on Levi as he spoke. Leah shook her head, pointing down at the target in question.

"But, look at it. It's not even trying to get back to Eren, if anything it looks like it's headed straight for us."

"And if it survived that explosion point blank, we can't kill it." Levi sighed. "The one we should target... is Eren. You all get that, right? This nightmare won't end until we take him down."

"Why... why did it turn out this way." Mikasa wept, clutching her head in her hands. Armin started making his way towards Eren, each step causing a miniscule earthquake beneath them.

Leah placed a hand on Mikasa's shoulder, feeling herself tear up. "We can't put it off any longer. The form he's in now gives us a perfect opportunity to attack. You can do this, Mika." She whispered, giving the girl a reassuring side hug.

With a sharp shrill the centipede, who was half way up the side of the plateau, released a silvery mask of gas which fanned in the air around them. Leah's head perked up, her nose twitching as she inhaled lungfuls of the clouds.

"Why did that glowing thing start spewing out gas?" Gabi screeched. Leah made her way over to the youngster, placing a hand on her head.

"I'm sure it's nothing." But Leah's brow was knitted tightly together, the scent carried with the vapour making a feeling of uneasiness grow within her.

"Did it die?" Mikasa queried.

"No," Connie said resolutely. "This isn't the smell of a dead titan... could this be the same gas they used on Ragako village?"

Realisation washed over Leah with the force of a freight train, leaving her winded and light-headed. This titan-gas only effected Eldians without the power of the nine or the Ackerman bloodline; in other words, Eldians like herself, Jean, Connie and Gabi.

Leah gulped, her wide eyes darting to Levi's face which was scrunched up as he found the courage to say what had to come next.

She watched his lips move. "Mikasa, Pieck, get on Falco. We need to leave!"

"I don't get it, what's going on?" The female Marleyean warrior's brow raised in confusion.

Levi forced himself to stand upright, abandoning Connie's arms to load a thunderspear on his own. All while avoiding Leah's eyes. "Cos only Ackermans and titan wielders are immune, remember. You know what's coming better than we do, so you know what needs doing." He growled in a voice of urgency.

"But that... that can't be... it's just too much."

"We have to go, now!" He roared, before striding towards Leah. The red-head backed away, tears stinging her eyes. Out of everything they'd faced, she never thought this is was how she was going to go. Not at the hands of a titan, nor at the hands of an enemy, but instead she was going to be cursed to be cut down by her loved ones as she mindlessly tried to end their lives.

"No," She squeaked, holding out her flat hand to stop him. "Stay back."

Levi's face looked pained- no, agonised. Every fibre in his body and his mind, told him to turn and run; to flee on Falco's back before they were surrounded by an army of pure titans.