Chapter 11 - The Holy Man (Season 2)

The days that followed the capture of Annie Leonhart were filled with unrest and uncertainty. The uncovering of the wall titan further introduced the fear that titans were living among humanity; now it was practically confirmed that there were more people like Eren and Annie, waiting for the right moment to strike. On the orders of the Higher-ups Eren's incarceration was revoked while the remainder of the Survey Corps was given the mundane responsibility of watching over Annie Leonhart in her underground cell.

"Well this is boring as shit." Leah grumbled into the stale air of the basement. She kept her eyes on the crystalised girl before her while she crossed her arms across her chest and sighed. Levi and Leah had been watching this cocoon for the past few hours, in utter silence. "Honestly, I'd rather be doing Garrison paperwork right now and that's saying something."

Levi, who was sat in the seat next to Leah with his legs outstretched and arms folded, didn't respond. He didn't need to; of course she knew he was bored too, there was no point wasting his breath confirming that. Very few words had been exchanged between them in the past couple hours, something uncommon from Leah but far from in regards to Levi. While the two of them were on better terms again, they were yet to discuss the elephant in the room and much to Leah's surprise Levi was the first to introduce the topic.

It was reaching the end of their shift of watching Annie when he finally spoke up.

"I think you're suffering from PTSD." His was tone casual as if telling her something she already knew. The fact that no words had been spoken between them for the last 45 minutes led Leah to believe he'd been brewing on this for a while. She stared at him, her brows furrowed in a questioning look. The truth was Levi had been debating whether or not to say this for quite some time. The subject of Leah's episodes had bugged Levi's mind since it'd started, and now, offered him respite from the grief of losing his soldiers.

"Your episodes. They're flash-backs to a traumatic event, no? Brought on by something triggering, like rejoining the scouts... or... the death of our soldiers. How many times has it happened now?" He pressed in an informal drawl as he uncrossed his arms and stretched them out in front of him. He dropped them onto his lap.

Leah narrowed her eyes at him slightly. It was the first time she'd taken her eyes off of Annie and her vision took a second to adjust and register the fact that he wasn't even looking at her. His gaze remained trained on their captive. "I don't know, like three or four times. Look, Levi. I appreciate the concern, I really do, but in the grand-scheme of things, any post-traumatic-stress-whatever I'm 'suffering' from should be the least of our worries right now."

Leah glanced at the clock on the wall. There were only minutes left on their shift and she found herself thanking the fact he'd left this conversation for right at the end, providing her with an easy escape. She stood up from her seat once she was finished speaking and sent a final glare towards Annie. You murderous bitch. Levi continued speaking, his voice now slightly uncertain, something abnormal for the stoic man.

"Well... if you ever want to talk about anything... I'm here or whatever." He'd stood as well at this point, facing away from his counterpart and trying to stretch his legs casually as he spoke. Leah paused at the door to take a glance back at him. She watched as he nervously toyed with the jacket that was draped stylishly over his shoulders. "Thanks, Co-Captain."

Leah had picked up very quickly how much he hated that title and used it now to try and lighten the heavy topic he'd introduced. He shot the red-head a cold glare as he started towards her. "You're a pain in the ass, that's the last time I try to be nice." He walked past her out of the exit and Leah couldn't stifle the soft chuckle that left her lips at his words. She continued after him down the hall. Despite having spent hours in his company, in no way did she want to get away from him.