Chapter 31 - A New Perspective

When Levi finally stirred awake, the pain coursing through his body forced a groan from his lips. He rolled over, hearing the bedcover draped over his body rustle as the cotton-y fabric tickled his exposed skin. There were muffled voices, as if coming from the other side of a wall.

Levi's thoughts were all over the place and his eyes felt like they were being weighted shut with bricks. Where was he? Wasn't he just on a wagon with Zeke? Why was he now lying in a very warm, very comfortable bed? And where was Leah?

"...navigation... mission... go... check... Levi..." Leah's voice met Levi's ears, though he couldn't make out every word. He tore his eyes open, squinting slightly at the light of the room. He was in his Trost quarters. The light from through the window painted everything in a pastel glow and the white curtains danced in the breeze seeping in through the open window.

"Tell him I wish him well." A familiar, deeper voice, answered Leah. Footsteps closed in on the outside of Levi's door and when Leah spoke again, her voice was clearer and much closer. "I will, see you later."

The door clicked open and Leah stepped in, a smile still on her face from whoever it had just had just been talking to. "You're awake." She beamed, shutting the door behind her and moving towards the bed. Her hair swayed around her head, and Levi felt like he was staring up at an angle. Her perfect smile, her silky hair, her twinkling eyes, it all left him in awe of the women. "Who was that?" He mumbled, his voice croaking hoarsely.

"Erwin, silly." Leah chimed, perching on the bed and reaching up a hand to comb through his hair. The feeling of her fingertips massaging his scalp made Levi feel tempted to close his eyes again, but he fought it. Erwin? She was talking to Erwin? But Erwin's...

"Of course." Levi muttered as if it was the most reasonable answer in the world. He lifted a hand out from under the bedcovers and tentatively reached for her face. His fingers ghosted over her cheeks, as if scared that touching her would cause her to vanish. When she leaned into his touch, he spread his hand to cup her face, gently caressing the supple skin of her cheek. The skin was pale, bar her sun-kissed glow, and untouched by imperfections.

It was her, it was Leah, it was actually her. Everything Levi thought had happened - Erwin's death, the attack on Marley, the thunderspear explosion - it had all been some horrible, sick nightmare. Right? Because this was the only thing Levi wanted to be true.

Leah lowered her face to Levi's and gently kissed him. "I missed you so much." He whispered, his hands clutching her close. "I missed you too." Even her voice sounded like a choir of angles.

"But you have to wake up."

Those words chilled Levi to the bone. His heart sank, and the pain that had been numbed by the sight of Leah returned with a stab. "Wake up, Levi."

~

His body felt like it was on fire. He writhed in his skin and while he wished he could rip it off, scratch at it, throw himself into icy water, his body wasn't cooperating. It was dark outside - no - Levi's eyes were closed and wouldn't open. One of them stung worse than he'd ever felt, and he was almost sure he could feel tears welling from the pain.