Chapter 12 - Utgard Castle

The image as the Scouts rode into Ehrmich made Leah's chest tighten uncomfortably and a sick feeling grow in her gut.

An endless sea of men, women and children flowed listlessly down the streets. The cries of children rung in the air. Every second Leah spent stood on the sides watching faces past was a second longer she was forced to think back to the day when she was in their position.

What I'd have given to have seen your face in the crowd back then, Isaac. She thought to herself as the crowd continued.

Not everything got better after Leah had made it onto the boat after the breach 5 years ago. Once the long and painful journey had ended she was pushed off the boat by the moving bodies around her and forced down the streets. They were now all homeless.

The hideous face of that titan was branded in her mind, there every time she closed her eyes. Leah knew then that she could never go back to the Scouts.

While she was recuperating with the rest of the refugees from Shiganshina a familiar face located her. It was her Commander at the time, Keith Shadis.

But the shock was setting in and her body was just an empty shell of who she was before the breach. As soon as Leah found her words she requested an immediate transfer. Anywhere but the Scouts.

-

"Anderson, are you alright?"

Levi's hand gripped Leah's shoulder and she glanced back at him, finally managing to tear her eyes off of the sights before her. She blinked a couple times before answering.

"Fine, I was just thinking about when that was me. The day titans forced us out of Shiganshina was one of the worst days in my life... tied with the day I had to start working with you, of course." She joked dryly.

Levi's hand left her shoulder. "Very funny. Now let's go before you start having one of your freaky flashbacks again."

The moment Leah was out of view of the refugees was like a weight was lifted off her chest and she could breathe again. Levi led the way through the temporary Scout grounds towards where Hange and the rest of their group were waiting, pushing Pastor Nick roughly ahead of them. "Keep it moving, Holy man."

Levi took the short time to explain to Leah what was discovered on the cart journey and what the plan going forth was. Leah knew the aim: Erwin had always wanted to reach Eren's childhood home in Shiganshina and go into his Father, Grisha Jeager's, basement to discover the secrets of the titans.

The new catch was something called titan hardening. They'd seen it at work with Annie, the crystalized substance she could produce was quite unbreakable which made it perfect for sealing the breach in Wall Maria. Even better, the material didn't dissolve once Eren, or any titan shifter, had left their titan form and become human again meaning it could permanently seal the gate. From there it would be simple: kill all titans remaining in the wall or pray for a safe passage to Shiganshina. But at this time the plan had entailed so many ifs and buts and so many unknowns, it didn't seem feasible to Leah.

"Wow... so you really think Eren can control the hardening ability to that extent?"

The idea itself had been fascinating but once Levi's words had settled in, she found herself doubting Eren's strength. They didn't even know if he could harden like Annie. Levi shrugged.