Chapter 21 - Titan Serum

"Gah- Isaac, wait up. This basket is heavy." Leah grumbled as the pre-teen hurried around the market, weaving between the bustled crowds with ease.

The blonde boy slowed and offered his big sister an amused grin. "I thought you were in the military, aren't you meant to be strong?"

Leah raised an eyebrow. "Do you want to carry the basket then?" He shook his head rapidly and reached for his sister's free hand before proceeding their journey through town. They'd spent most of their morning getting the shopping for their mother, enjoying the quality time while Leah had a weekend off from the Scouts.

Isaac had been animatedly describing to Leah a story he'd heard at school when someone passing bumped into Leah, causing the wicker basket holding their groceries to tumble to the floor.

"Hey-"

"Oh my- I'm so sorry." A fair-haired man in his early twenties dropped to his knees and rushed to repack the shopping, all the while muttering about how sorry he was.

When the produce was safely back in place, he rose again and offered Leah the basket, lifting his free hand to push his glasses back up his nose. "Again, I'm really sorry."

Leah chuckled, having been taken aback by how profusely he apologised. "It's really no big deal- thanks." Leah reassured as she took the wooden basket from him. Isaac watched the man curiously, "Nice glasses."

The blonde man beamed and fixed the spectacles on his face. "You like them? My Father gave them to me." The young boy nodded enthusiastically at the question.

"I'm sorry, do you live around here? It's just I've never seen you at these markets before and we're pretty regular?" Leah referenced herself and her brother before giving the young man a quizzical look.

He smiled and shook his head before looking around in admiration. "No, just visiting. I live in the Captial but I've always been curious what other parts of the walls are like."

"Hey, we can show you around if you'd like? C'mon let's go," Isaac confidentially took the man's hand, satisfied that his sister could keep up, and continued down the street. The man laughed heartily and complied, eagerly striding to keep up with the charging boy.

"That would be very kind of you."

Leah sighed, securing her grip on the handle of the basket before quickening her pace to catch up. "I'm Isaac and this is my sister, Leah. She's in the Scouts."

"I'm Zeke."

~

"Zeke?" Leah's voice rose with incredulity and the man's blue eyes darted to her figure. His face contorted to that of horror for a brief second, despite the blade still unforgivingly gauged through his face. At the clear familiarity between the two, Levi faltered.

"What the hell- you know him, Leah?"

Leah took Levi's wrist in a shakey hand and withdrew the blade from Zeke's mouth. The blonde man coughed and spluttered, blood spraying out his mouth and mingling with the deep red already coating nearly everything around them. His look of disturbance had vanished and he instead he appeared almost as happy as he had that day in the Shiganshina market.