Chapter 9 - Anger

Instead of making it all the way to the mess hall Leah was instead stopped in the corridor by a frantic Eren. "Captain! Captain Leah!" His voice echoed down the hall from ahead of her as soon as she'd come into view. She stopped in her tracks as the brunette youngster skidded to a halt before her, panting for air. He didn't look as if he had any lasting wounds from the expedition - the bandage that had been wrapped around his skull was gone - and he had clearly awoken from the comatose state that possessed him the most of journey home. "What is it, Eren? How are you feeling?" Leah furrowed her brow, confused about his urgency as he grabbed her hand and started dragging her down the hall behind him. Every time Leah spoke her chest tingled but she just clenched her jaw and focused her attention on the boy.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm feeling fine- no time for that. Commander Erwin wants to have a meeting and you need to attend. Follow me."

"It's not like you're giving me a choice otherwise." Leah sighed but moved her legs faster to keep pace. "What's the meeting about?" She asked curiously as they continued down the empty hallways. He'd dropped her hand now satisfied by the speed they were marching down the halls at. He raised an eyebrow. "I thought you'd know, Captain? We've been summoned to the capital."

Leah scoffed. "Nobody tells me anything here, honestly." She couldn't help the annoyance rising within her. I bet it was Levi who was meant to tell me this but decided I didn't need to know. Was he really still angry at me for something I wasn't even conscious for?

They reached the mess hall before long and Eren turned the handle to a door, pushing it open with an echoing creak. It seemed in the short time Leah been in her room, everyone had been ordered to leave and now most of the lights were out and a lone figure sat at the head of one of the main tables, nursing a china cup with his head hung low. His black hair fell over his eyes and drowned his face in shadows. Leah knew Levi was bound to be a part of this meeting and so wasn't surprised by his presence.

Eren walked past Levi and sat at a chair at the opposite end of the table from his male Captain. Way to make things awkward... Leah thought to herself as she considered where to sit. She felt both of their eyes on her as she moved and lowered herself into one of the middle seats on the opposite side of the table from Eren. She crossed her arms across her chest painfully and stretched out her legs and she stared at the oak table before her. Levi couldn't bear looking at her any longer. Those unconscious words still floated about in his head.

Take me... instead...

I want... to die...

Levi furrowed his brow and focused on the deep brown liquid swirling in his mug. Did Leah want to die? He couldn't piece together what was happening with Leah - something that wasn't helped by the fact they wouldn't talk to each other. He knew that when she passed out the first time she'd said she'd seen her dead Brother. It appeared like she'd been dreaming but instead was reliving a moment from her past - like a flashback. Did that mean those were words she'd said the day Isaac had died? I want... to die... Levi's mind ran uncontrollably with questions about Leah, something he was grateful for as it kept him from lingering on the fact his whole squad had been massacred by the Female Titan.

The silence in the air was suffocating. Both males had a teacup and saucer before them and Leah considered briefly going to make herself one, but decided against it when she realised Erwin could be there for the meeting at any second. Instead she glanced up and allowed her eyes to study Levi. He was wearing casual clothes, which made her feel better about the fact that she also wasn't in uniform anymore. He had his chair angled so that he could rest one arm on the table and the other on the back of his chair as he stared down at his tea in thought.