Chapter 15 - Spy (Season 3)

"I want you to transfer back to the Garrison."

Leah blinked at Erwin, confused and slightly hurt. She couldn't decipher the emotions playing out on his face but hoped that this was some weird practical joke. "Wha-- you've got to be joking?" Her tone was unusually high, distress already beginning to break through. She'd just settled back into the Scouts; made friends, built relationships, and now Erwin was trying to send her away. The blonde male reached for her hand from his position in the hospital bed, taking it gently in his and squeezing it tightly in reassurance. His large hands were calloused but warm, and offered some comfort despite the panic rising within her. "Please let me explain before you freak out." Leah took a shaky breath in, then out before nodding, dragging her chair slightly closer to the bed until her knees pressed against it.

"Our regiment's days are numbered. The Government knows we're close to discovering something, and they're going to do everything in their power to stop us from uncovering their dirty secrets. They'll come after me first. I don't know what they'll do with me. Maybe lock me up. Maybe kill me. But whatever it is, let them." Erwin's grip on Leah's hand tightened. His voice remained steady, speaking just above a whisper. "I need to ask something of you, Leah. And I'm afraid you don't get much of a choice in the matter of leaving the Scouts. Your transfer is effective immediately." Leah's body stiffened, her breath hitching in her throat.

"But I didn't even agree to it yet--"

"Leah, you don't have a choice." Erwin said, his voice raising slightly. Leah straightened up, taken aback by the way he snapped. Erwin shut his eyes and sighed, letting his head bow naturally. His dishevelled blonde locks dangled over his face, tickling his cheeks and brow. He looked truly defeated, nothing like the usual calm, composed Erwin. "I'm sorry. This is my fault for dragging you into this mess in the first place. The Scouts are going down but it's not too late for you. You still have a future and you're going to transfer back before it's too late. I've already spoken to Pyxis and--"

"You did what?" Leah snatched her hand from Erwin's and stood up abruptly, knocking the armchair over with a loud clatter. Erwin's head swivelled up, his eyes wide as he shifted to reach out to her. "Leah-- calm down. Please, just listen to me." The female paced the length of the small hospital room, not able to meet the blonde's eyes. She ran a hand through her coppery hair, almost rough enough to tear it from their follicles.

"I need you to work as a spy for the Scouts." Erwin blurted after a hesitant pause. Leah halted her pacing and slowly turned her head to stare at Erwin, eyes narrowed and brows knitted tightly together. "A... spy?" She repeated unsurely.

Erwin ran a hand over his face and nodded. "Yes. I've made an agreement with Pyxis, however I don't fully trust him and I think he feels the same way. He knows how much you mean to me- to the Scouts - and so your transfer is insurance for him... to make sure I don't report him to the King for treason.

"Leah, I can't make you do this, spying for the Scouts will be completely your choice. And it'll be dangerous. So I implore you to consider all your options first; but just know, you will be returning to the Garrison. I won't let myself be the reason your life goes down the drain."

Erwin's voice quaked every so slightly at the end of his sentence, almost undetectable to the average person. But Leah picked up on it. Her throat tightened painfully, tears threatening. "Just tell me what I'd be agreeing to." Leah demanded, still standing just out of reach of Erwin, her hands trembling. He nodded and continued.