Chapter 29 - The Restaurant

If Levi thought his insomnia was bad before, he was in for a shock. With the combination of sleeping in the woods with twigs causing uncomfortable lumps beneath him as he attempted rest, the presence of Zeke Jeager which even the thought alone made Levi's blood boil, and his constant anxiety about his Scouts, co-captain and Commander back in civilisation, finding enough peace to get a good night's sleep was near impossible.

Back in Shiganshina, an order for civilians to evacuate was passed as the Island prepared for any retaliation from Marley following the raid on Liberio. But tensions were brewing within the Walls themselves. With the arrest of Eren and the anti-Marleyean volunteers, the distrust between allies became clear. The military couldn't rely on the anti-Marleyeans being forthright, and Eren roaming free was a threat plain as day, but betraying them like that meant that any hope for cooperation was all but lost.

Leah was torn on the matter, not that she got any say. Commander Pyxis was rightly wary of the volunteers from the start, and everyone in the corps knew that the Premier wished for Eren to be eaten by the Queen - a plan only being prevented by Historia's pregnancy. However, further tides were created when news of Scout recruits leaking information to the public regarding Eren's 'wrongful' imprisonment reached the Commander of the Scouts.

Hange was forced to deal with the situation, and while Leah was invited to assist, the second Floch Forster was mentioned, she knew any attempts to be professional about it would be futile.

That Scout veteran rubbed Leah the wrong way with his claims about Erwin. On multiple occasions he'd accused the Captain of disgracing her dead best friend by not supporting Eren in his revenge on the world, spouting that Erwin died for exactly that.

Luckily, Leah didn't have to be there for Hange to deliberate their arrest.

The next significant event was the assassination of Premier Zachary by some of Eren's loyal followers, the Jeagerists. Eren himself used the chaos of the Premier's death, along with his titan powers, to break free from his holding cell. Leah knew it was only a matter of time before this happened. Coincidentally, or perhaps not so, Floch and the other detained Jeagerists were set free that same day. All the escaped prisoners disappeared, most likely to rendezvous with Eren and start their journey to find Zeke.

More shocking still was the Scouts and other soldiers who openly abandoned their duties to join Eren. Hundreds defected to join the 'Jeagerists' and since the majority were from the Survey Corps, it put Hange and Leah in a bad position.

"In the short term, their goal is to ensure that Eren meets with his brother and in the long term they intend to reform the military with Eren at its head." Hange explained the Jeagerist's goals, addressing the MP Commander Nile Dok and Lady Kiyomi Azumabito who had returned to Paradis just recently. Hange continued.

"They demonstrated their resolve by way of assassinating our Premier. It's obvious what provoked them to act as they have. They must've learned about the military's plan to transfer the founder, even though you kept it a secret from us Scouts."

Leah narrowed her eyes at Nile as he opened his mouth to retort, "Only because we knew exactly what would happen if we did tell you. In any case, many of these Jeagerists are from the Scouts. How will you take responsibility for their actions, Hange?" Nile's gaze travelled left of the Scout Commander to where Leah was stood, fixing her the same accusatory glare that Hange had been receiving. "Anderson?"

Hange and Leah shared a brief glance to which Leah nodded. "We're willing to accept any punishment, but neither of us will be resigning from our posts. That would be the height of irresponsibility."

"As much as I would love the break from this bullshit, you need us. We have a better understanding on what's going on than anyone else in the military, hence why you're meeting with us today." Leah added, crossing her arms and meeting Nile's eyes shamelessly.