Chapter 6 - Titan Shifter

The duo landed elegantly on the thick tree branch next to the Commander, staring down at the restrained titan with awe. She shifted ever so slightly against the wires but refused to release her hands from the nape of her neck.

"She's not putting up much of a fight." The shorter male observed, sounding partially worn out from their previous escapade.

"That's no reason to let our guard down. Good work leading her here, I'm more than a little impressed." The blonde man glanced between them with a look of gratitude and pride. "You work well together."

"We couldn't have without the rear contingent whose lives bought us time. This belongs to them." Leah said thoughtfully, sighing as she estimated in her head how many lives were lost just in those few hours.

"I agree, I don't intend to ever forget that." Levi looked on dejectedly. "That so?" The taller man mused.

"Yes. Because of their sacrifices, we can expose whoever this really is." Levi's voice became gravelly as honour brimmed within him. "Ten to one they're in there pissing themselves right about now."

Leah stared out into the blonde titans frenzied moon eyes, unnerved by the stiff smile that clung to her face as she shook with whatever emotions were coursing through her.

-

With another round of harpoons being pierced into the female titan Miche, Levi and Leah flew like missiles towards the giant hands covering her nape for the third time. Just as before she managed to harden the skin on the back of her hands causing their blades to shatter and glide off of her unscathingly. The copper-haired woman grumbled in annoyance as she landed on a nearby branch, looking down at her broken blades.

Miche shook his head pessimistically as Erwin watched on, deciding what to do next. Leah laughed to herself as she observed Levi standing on the blonde titan's head, spurting words of intimidation to her.

And somehow his words worked to provoke a reaction from her. After a brief intake of air the titan shifter let out a monstrous scream, howling like a dying animal. Leah threw her hands over her ears and braced herself against the gale caused by her forcing the air out of her lungs. The world shook for a second as the scream continued on, echoing into the forest.

When she was finished an eerie silence fell. Leah stood there expectantly, a new set of blades drawn and her body poised, her breath finally returning to her lungs.

"They're coming, I can smell them." Miche said hurriedly to Erwin whose face hardened with resoluteness.

"From what direction?" The Commander inquired. Miche's face darkened as he spoke, "From every direction. Fast. Dozens." Erwin made a disgruntled noise and analysed his surroundings.

Just then a trio of titans broke through the trees at a run. Then another. And another. Continuing to multiply until a sea of titans blanketed the ground below Leah.

Despite their soldiers' best attempts, they showed no interest in them and by passed them without a second glance.

The titans charged straight for the female titan. "All hands commence combat! Defend the female titan at all costs." Erwin bellowed to his men. Leah immediately leaped from her post, dodging in and out of titans as she made her way around trying to slice their napes. But there were just too many of them. For every titan Leah and her comrades struck down another two appeared.

Blood spattered everywhere, briefly alighting on Leah's cloak or arm or face before disappearing into the air as hot steam. She glanced up at Erwin with a defeated look he seemed to recognise.

"All hands withdraw!" Even he knew there was nothing they could do now. As soon as Leah's feet came in contact with the bark of the closest tree Erwin's voice sounded again, "Redeploy the formation, return to Karanes district!"