Chapter 17 - Reiss Chapel

Everyone was on edge when they finally reached Lord Reiss' land. The squad, which Levi had informed Leah was the new Levi Squad, was quick to unload what little resources they had. The sun was barely peaking over the horizon, and Leah could feel that. Her body was sluggish from exhaustion. She'd been on the move for days now, and hadn't slept in over 24 hours.

Leah was also the only person who didn't have any ODM Gear, rendering her practically useless in a fight. She did however have a lethal gun, something she really hoped she wouldn't have to use, but knew she most likely would. Her conscience had troubled her enough when she heard there was a chance all titans had once been human beings, with her titan kill count was well into the hundreds. She'd spoken briefly about this on the journey in and Levi was firm about the fact it wasn't murder if your life was on the line. In this case - hesitate, for even a moment, and you or your team will die.

Her gun had a limited number of bullets, all of which were in a pouch around her waist, meaning after every shot she'd have to momentarily take her eyes off the target to reload her rifle. Overall, Leah wasn't very well equipped for this battle and everyone knew it, letting her know through the nervous glances being sent her way.

As barrels of oil and gunpowder were being unloaded from the wagons, Levi approached Leah and calmly walked her away from the main group. His talk earlier in the wagon about how dangerous an opponent Kenny was, definitely didn't reassure Leah.

"You need to relax," Levi's eyes travelled to Leah's hands at her side which she swiftly clenched into a fist. "If you keep shaking like that you'll never hit your shots." His words weren't reprimanding, merely a gentle observation. Leah bowed her head slightly.

"I feel useless, Levi. No blades, no ODM Gear. Just this stupid gun." Leah angrily grabbed her gun and brandished it above her head. Levi raised his arms to grasp hers and lower them back to her side. "Relax."

His hands lingered on her forearms, and for a moment Leah did feel herself calm slightly. Levi took a deep breath, removed his hands from her and ran a a hand through his hair. "If you can't do it, you can wait out here for Erwin and the others to arrive."

"I can do it."

Levi gave her a small, approving nod and the two just looked at each other for a moment, something which seemed to be a reoccurring theme. Leah wondered what was going on in his mind. Levi wondered what he could do to protect Leah during the inevitable fight. Eventually they broke their gaze when Hange poked their head out the Chapel and called for them in a hushed voice.

"Hey, you two. We found a hidden door in the floor, let's get moving."

Before either of them could respond Hange's head had disappeared again. Outside the Chapel was silent now that everyone had gone inside. Leah sighed deeply, enjoying peace for the last time before battle. Her grip tightened on the neck of her gun. "Remember how you said you had something you wanted to talk to me about?"

Levi narrowed his eyes slightly. "Yes..." He replied uncertainly, taking his eyes off her to continue checking the gear on his hips. "Well, if we both make it out of this alive, I've got something I need to talk to you about too." Leah intended on telling Levi the plan between herself and Erwin. She wasn't worried about asking Erwin first, if the chance didn't arise. What mattered now, was Levi forgave her and knew the full story. Levi smirked slightly, "I guess I'll make a point of not dying then."

-

Leah kicked open the heavy wooden double doors to the secret basement, before jumping back to let Armin and Sasha throw the flammable barrels through. Their plan was officially in motion. "Go, go, go." Leah instructed, pushing everyone out the door with a hand on their back. She was to take up the rear, waiting by the door of the basement to act as a long-range sniper.