Chapter 23 - Medal Ceremony

"Look, I just want to know if he was a good kisser?! It's not like I'm asking for the details." Hange pled Leah as they and Levi walked down the halls of Headquarters.

After one of the best sleeps in her life, Leah awoke in her bed, with her blanket drawn over her and her necklace shimmering like brand new in the early morning sun beaming down on her desk. She wasn't sure when Levi had left her last night, having fallen asleep on Levi's shoulder as soon as she shut her eyes again.

Leah returned to her duties feeling refreshed, attending a meeting first thing with Hange, Levi and Premier Zachary, during which they were informed of Queen Historia's arrival in Trost.

Now the trio were en route to the holding cells that restrained Eren and Mikasa for insubordination; while Leah understood that mutiny in the military was a punishable offense, she thought locking them up was nearing on the extreme side.

"I'm not talking about how good a kisser my dead bestfriend was." Leah shut down the invading query for the third time. "Pfft, what was I thinking, when I told you that we dated?"

"Drop it, Eyepatch. She's clearly keeping her lips sealed," Levi drawled before Hange could refute. The Commander groaned, "Fine, fine. But I should have you both thrown in the briggs for infringement of a superior officer."

Leah scoffed while Levi clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. "I think the powers gone to your head already, Hange." Leah sighed exhasperatedly.

The brunette chortled manically and sauntered ahead. "Yes, maybe it has."

"I'm gonna kill them one day." Levi glowered as soon as Hange was out of earshot. Leah smirked slightly, "Now that's no way to talk about your Commanding Officer, Levi." 

-

The noirette tapped his knuckles against the mahogany door. "It's us." Levi claimed, loud enough to be heard from inside the room. After retrieving Eren, Mikasa and Armin and having them change into appropriate clothing for meeting with the Queen, the five Scouts headed directly to the office which Jean, Hange and her Majesty were already waiting.

"Come in." A male guard gave them the all clear from inside the room and Levi shouldered open the door to allow everyone to file in.

The room looked like your average meeting room, with tall glass windows at the far end, letting in the perfect stream of natural light, and a long dark oak table down the center at which Jean and the Commander sat.

Historia approached the newcomers immediately and Armin, Mikasa and Eren stooped into a bow. Leah nodded her head in respect, unsure of the procedures when it came to meeting the Queen.

"Oh, stop it, please. I'm not actually ruling yet. But wow, you've been through so much." Her gaze flitted from Scout to Scout with a hint of admiration.

"Meanwhile, I've done nothing but watch the South sky and wait."

"It's an important duty of yours, just to keep safe and well." Armin replied. Leah couldn't help but feel sorry for Historia; after all she'd been through, once again she was forced into a role she didn't wholly want. She offered the Queen a sympathetic smile.

Before long they all sat in the military courthall, surrounded on all angles by soldiers in a dull green coat. Leah shifted uncomfortably on her incommodious wooden chair, trying to position the tails of her jacket beneath her backside to offer to some cushioning.

The meeting had been a lot of old, white men arguing about whether or not the discovery in Grisha Jeager's basement was to be revealed to the citizens. Leah's opinion, which she'd been quick to express when called upon by Hange, was that the people had a right to know. After-all, the only reason they didn't was due to some weird mind control palava that Leah couldn't get her head around.