Chapter 30 - Jeagerists

"Yelena has been circulating wine tainted with Zeke's spinal fluid...." Jean replied quietly.

"And some of it got into Falco's mouth." Connie added, continuing with his rinsing. Leah's eyes widened in horror as she addressed the room, "Why hasn't he turned titan?"

"We assume that Zeke lied to us about the effects of his spinal fluid. Perhaps there's a second factor that we don't know about that needs to be in place before it happens..." Hange puzzled.

Leah turned to Onyankopon. "Did you know about this?" He shook his head hurriedly.

"And you?" Leah turned to Niccolo with a convicting glare. The blonde's face dropped, "Nobody told me, if that's what you want to hear!" He paused, heaving air into his lungs. "But... I had my suspicions."

Leah looked furious. Her face was a similar shade to her hair, as she looked between everyone gathered in the room, at a loss for words.

"Leah, there's no point in blaming anyone now. All we can do is get the boy cleaned up and hope for the best." Hange huffed before calling Jean over to help carry Falco through to the adjacent kitchen where they cleaned him up in a sink.

Leah paced the dining room, feeling the adrenaline rushing through her and heightening her senses. Every noise made her jump at fear of there being another unprovoked attack and even when her comrades around her began to calm and strike up conversations amongst themselves, the Captain remained alert and ready.

When the anticipation became too much, she spun on her heels and made for the corridor, out the archway entrance to the room. "I'm going to check on the others." She mumbled, striding into the hallway. As soon as she rounded the corner out of sight from the room Leah felt something press against her chest. Her head, which had been angled down and focused on her booted feet, snapped up to land on Floch. His mouth was curled into a sneer as he tilted his head condescendingly at his Captain, pressing the barrel of his gun more firmly against her torso.

"No, Captain. I don't think you will."

When her eyes gazed past Floch's head, she caught sight of a figure disappearing into the room Armin, Mikasa and Gabi resided in. Leah's heart sunk; it was Eren. Leah's body jerked to chase after him, but then became accutely aware of the threat of death pointed at her chest. Flanking Floch stood a collection of Jeagerists, some Scouts that Leah recognised with a pang of disappointment. Each of the soldiers following Floch was armed with a gun, poised and ready to fire at Leah if she made one wrong move.

Leah's lips twitched but Floch just lifted a finger to his lips before signalling for her to turn around. Slowly raising her hands, she rotated on the spot until Floch's pistol jabbed her lower back. "Back into the room."

The look on everyone's faces as she was marched back into the room by Floch and the Jeagerists made Leah avert her eyes in ashame. Her hands were held up by her head, and stayed there until Floch shoved her roughly forward. Leah stumbled to stand by her comrades, spinning to face the threat with a look of disgust on her face.

"Hange, we have visitors." Leah said through gritted teeth.

Picking up on the tense tone in Leah's voice, Hange abandoned bathing Falco and pushed through the swinging gate-door into the dining area. "Is something wrong?"

"There you are, Commander." Floch said in an overly sweet tone. Hange's body went rigid, "What's going on?"

"I'm glad you showed up," Floch changed his attention from Leah to the Commander, strolling over to them casually. "If anyone knows where Zeke's being held, it's you."

He lifted his pistol once more to hold the Commander in place. "You'll have to drop whatever it is you're doing and take us to him." Leah pursed her lips and her hands curled into a fist at her side to stop their innate trembling.