Chapter 28 - Insubordination

Jean and Connie deposited their Captain safely on the airship, relinquishing her care to Hange who immediately poured themself over the female.

She was unresponsive, but stable. Her heart palpitated in her chest and her breathing was laboured and wheezy.

When Levi landed on the airship and noticed the nervous looks being thrown his way he narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Springer. Where's Captain Leah?" Levi asked, trying to ignore the unsettling looks.

Connie looked distressed. "Nobody told you? She's with Hange- she's been gassed with something."

Levi had stormed to the front of the airship before Connie had even finished his sentence, worry causing his pulse to race. He threw the door open and his eyes roved the room for Leah.

He spotted her, laid back on the floor with Hange hovering nervously at her side. He moved over calmly and dropped to his knees, whipping his Scout cloak off from around his shoulders to bundle up and put behind her head to soften the floor.

"What happened." He demanded, looking the woman over. He cupped her face in his hands and examined it, noting the small cuts on her face. His hands ghosted over her body, pausing briefly at the laceration on her arm.

"She's stable- we think. Zeke said she-"

Levi's eyes snapped up to the steaming blonde man propped up against the wall. His tinted glasses fogged up in the heat, and his lack of limbs past his knees and elbows meant he was defenseless to Levi's attack.

The shorter black-haired man grabbed his collar roughly. "What the hell has your soldiers done to her!?" He roared before stamping his booted foot down on Zeke's nub of a leg.

"Yow- she's fine, Levi-"

"She doesn't look fine!" He seethed, stomping down again. Zeke let out another pained cry. Hange put a hand on Levi's shoulder and shook it gently. "Wait, I think she's waking up."

Leah was definitely stirring. Her breathing became more purposeful, but as it did, the death rattle her lungs made only grew in intensity. As Levi made his way back over to her, she let out a muffled grunt and her arms twitched.

"Wha' the..." Leah had barely croaked out the words before her lungs siezed and she was forced into a coughing fit.

She pushed herself to sit upright and she doubled over as her chest barked unhealthily. She bent her knee and rested her arm on it to support herself as every inhale she made was interrupted by a chesty cough.

Levi crouched next to her, placing a hand on her back and gently rubbing it up and down until she was through the fit. When she could breath normally again her head fell back against the wall, her eyes pricked with tears and her face flushed red from the effort.

The metallic taste of blood filled Leah's mouth and her nose scrunched up as she smacked her lips. At a second glance, the dark sleeve she'd been coughing into was dotted with dark red marks that reached all the way to the lighter skin of her hands. When her gaze lingered there for a second to long, Levi's eyes travelled down to her blood-speckled hand and gritted his teeth.

"You said she was fine. This- is not fine!" He hissed at Zeke. When Leah started coughing again, Hange could tell Levi was seconds away from lashing out at Zeke and promptly stepped in.

Simultaneously, Armin landed in the ajar doorway of their private part of the airship, fixing his attention on just outside as moments later he reached down and clasped Eren's hand in his own before yanking him up into the room.

"Levi. I need you to deal with Eren." The Commander steered Levi towards the gathered teenagers and away from Zeke.

Unluckily for Eren, Levi was boiling over with anger. "Well aren't you a filthy sight. It's like you fell in a pile of shit, Eren."