Chapter 25 - Pillow Talk (Season 4)

Year: 851

Location: Scout Camp, Outside Wall Maria

The gentle twinkle of stars reflected in Leah's pupils as she gazed up at the sky, an absentminded smile on her features. The grass was still warm beneath her from the unrelenting heat of the sun throughout the day.

The cooler nights were welcomed with open arms as the summer days became unbearable. The Scouts had been working tirelessly to make their camp outside the walls sustainable, building a well and a makeshift farm to keep them going. When news of the new found safety outside the walls reached the Queen and Premier Zachary, they were quick to send reinforcements; more soldiers (an even mixture of MPs and Garrison), farmers and even engineers to help with the upkeep of their weapons and tents.

Their small beachside community was flourishing. The thing Leah looked forward to was her swim at the end of the day. Swimming wasn't something widely taught within the walls, due to the danger of drowning being all but zero, so Leah had to struggle to teach herself.

The skill came to her quickly, as the way she tread the water became second nature; as easy as she found killing titans. After her evening swim, where she scrubbed off all the dirt and sweat from a hard day's labour, Leah watched the stars - if the sky permitted.

Though the light pollution within the walls was minimal, the stars shone even brighter still in their newly discovered part of their island. This night was different though. While her stargazing was usually accompanied by the comforting chirp of crickets, tonight the low and distant hum of an engine grew closer from across the sea.

Unrest spread within the camp like a wildfire on a dry summer's day. From her vantage point on a grassy hill, Leah watched as green clad soldiers rushed around. It was clear something was going on. The Captain pushed herself into a standing position and scanned the campsite. Lanterns not marking important tents were being extinguished as the order for civilians to stay in their tents carried up to Leah in the refreshing breeze.

"Hey, Carrot-top. You're needed." Levi called from the base of the hill Leah observed from. She hadn't seen him approach, having been too focused on the chaos ensuing. She hastened to descend the hill at a half-run. "What's going on?"

"There's another Marleyean boat been spotted just off shore. Hange wants to do their stupid skit again."

The pair of them moved swiftly towards camp. "Hah, whatever you say, I think it's quite funny."

"You have a dumb sense of humour just like them, though."

Leah pouted exaggeratedly. "Rude." The raven-haired Captain scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Just go find Eren, will you? I need to get one of the hostages."

He placed a hand on Leah's back and nudged her in the direction of Eren's tent. "Alright, alright. Plan is a-go."

Leah and Eren bobbed off shore on a small row-boat, both disguised in all black clothing in an attempt to not stand out. The sizeable scouting boat sent by Marley cruised to a stop at a crag, and the pair could just about make out the movement of white uniformed soldiers on the deck.

"Ya ready, Eren?" Leah whispered, checking her ODM was secured around her frame. The brunette, who's hair had grown considerably in the past month or so due to neglect, stood and lifted a hand to his mouth. He nodded wordlessly, "On your word, Captain."

Leah stood wobbly and toyed with the handle of her gear, which emitted a reassuring click everytime. "Alright, let's do this."

Eren bit into his hand and at the same time, Leah shot into the air with her ODM Gear. The pair had practiced this to the point where they were a perfectly coordinated act, and as Eren's titan materialised as discretely as possible in the middle of the ocean, Leah swung down to land on his shoulder. Their row boat floated in splintered planks of wood around Eren's half-submerged torso.