Chapter 26 - Marley

Year: 853

Location: the cruise to Marley

The next day the Scouts were awoken bright and early by Hange skipping through camp, clanging together a metal ladle and pan.

It was finally time to venture away from the safety of their Island and face the rest of the world. Leah felt queasy just at the thought of it, a feeling not assisted by the constant rocking of the boat they were on. The port where they were headed, according to Onyankopon, was Port Liberio; one of the biggest in Marley and definitely a step up from the harbour the Eldians had just recently established.

Leah watched as her home grew smaller and smaller in the skyline, the buzz of excitement inside her drowned out by the ever rising dread. She smoothed out her grey skirt and straightened her spine just as Paradis disappeared over the horizon. The Captain stood alone at the stern of the ship, with the rest of her comrades between the bow, waiting excitedly for the appearance of the new land, and for those feeling the wrath of sea-sickess, sheltering inside.

Leah huffed as she let go of the metal railing, turning her back on Paradis and treading back along the deck. Her black heeled boots, as impractical as they were for fighting, were a welcomed change of pace for Leah. Having spent the last 15 years or so of her life training for or in the military, she hadn't had a lot of opportunities to dress up nice.

Her broad heels clipped the water sprayed deck with every step, barely audible over the grumble of the boat's engine. Droplets of ocean alighted on what was exposed of Leah's bare legs. As she turned into the stairwell that led down into the boat's seating area, Leah ran a hand through her slightly damp brazen hair. In truth, she'd been finding it harder and harder to care for her hair as it began hanging past her shoulders; she knew she'd have to chop it soon, the risk of it getting caught in her gear being too great.

"There you are, Captain." Jean chimed as Leah descended the last few steps. The roar of the engine was louder down there, the metal walls encasing them visibly shaking with the vibrations. Leah quirked her brow up ever so slightly. "Here I am." She concurred, spreading her arms.

"We were just wondering where you were. Are you excited to see what's been waiting for us outside the walls?" Connie added, twisting in his seat to face the woman. Her eyes scanned the compact space, instantly feeling the effects of claustrophobia.

Leah grimaced. The truth was, she felt like an escaped prisoner. Every second spent outside the walls made her feel more and more like a naughty child. That sense of defiance, which drove her to join the Scouts in the first place, used to fill her with life; but now it just reminded her of all the sacrifices made to get them to where they were today.

She dropped her gaze to the scout-green scarf draped around her neck and shoulders and fixed it distractedly as she responded. "Yeah, I suppose." She cringed at the dismissal in her tone, having hoped she'd do a better job at hiding her dread.

Eren stepped out of the shadows and an unnerving chill ran down Leah's spine. This physical response to Eren had been occurring more often ever since her nightmares of the rumbling had begun. Her heart raced in her chest, only growing faster the closer Eren got to her. Leah stood her ground, not dettered by the somewhat insolent look on his face. His turquoise eyes seemed to glow faintly in the dimly lit space, making it clear they were trained directly on Leah.

When he joined her at the base of the stairs, he paused and stared directly into Leah's soul. Cold beads of sweat congealed on Leah's back, and she fought a shiver. "I'm going to find Armin." He droned, not waiting for Leah's response before beginning his ascent of the steps. Mikasa rose from her seat beside Connie and made after him. "Don't worry, I'll keep an eye on him."