Part 6 : A father

When Aryan woke up, he rubbed his eyes leisurely and turned around hoping to find Arnav there but Arnav was nowhere to be seen. Aryan frowned and then all the happenings came crashing down in front of his eyes. His eyes filled up. His Bhaiya had been so hurt!

He wiped away his tears and rushed out of room to find Arnav. He came down in the hall and saw everyone around the dining table except Arnav. He walked up to them.

Both Aniket and Ayaansh smiled down at him. Aryan looked at the dishes his Bhabhi was arranging on the table for their dinner. They were all his favourites. He looked at Ashi who wasn't sparing him a glance.

"Bhabhi?" Aryan called out meekly.

Ashi looked at him.

Aryan waited for her to say something. When she didn't, he spoke up slowly. "Bhaiya kahan hai?"

Ashi turned to Ayaansh. "Apne Bhaiya ko bula la, Ayu. Study me hai woh."

Ayaansh nodded and left.

The subtle message wasn't lost to Aryan. His Bhabhi was also angry with him. He sighed to himself. He didn't even know how to pacify anyone. His Bhaiya had still lashed out on him. His Bhabhi was pampering him with his favourite food but not talking to him.

Arnav came down with Ayaansh and both of them took their seats on the table. They served themselves quietly. No one felt like talking when Aryan fell silent. He was the cheer of the house. With him being so gloomy and upset, others had automatically picked up on the same mood.

Aryan peeked at Arnav. His face wasn't giving away anything. Aryan looked at Aniket who gestured him to start eating.

"Bhaiya?" Aryan nudged Arnav's hands. "I'm sorry, Bhaiya!"

Arnav didn't even look at him.

Ashi saw Aryan's eyes brimming up and sighed. She called out to him gently. "Aru, baatein baad me karna. Abhi khana kha!"

Aryan looked down to hide his tears. "Bhookh nhi hai, Bhabhi." He mumbled slowly.

"Thoda kha le, Aru.."

Aryan was about to get up when Ayaansh pulled him back. "Baith ja, Aru!"

"Sach me bhookh nhi hai, Bhai." Aryan muttered.

"Baith ja, Aru, zidd mat kar!" Ayaansh whispered. "Tu nhi khayega toh Bhaiya bhi nhi khayenge. Unhone subah se nhi khaya. Kha le thoda.."

Aryan looked at Arnav who hadn't touched his plate. He sat back reluctantly and served himself. He was trying very hard to gulp down the food but nothing seemed appetizing anymore.

Aniket looked at his brothers. None of them were actually eating. Aryan was pretending to eat while playing with spoon and the food in his plate and Arnav was just sitting there for their sake.

"Kya kar rha hai, Aru? Kha le, bachcha!" Aniket nudged Aryan to eat.

Aryan looked at him. Aniket pointed towards Arnav's untouched plate. Aryan tore a morsel and had it but started coughing instantly.

"Aru!" Ayaansh made him drink water while Aniket patted his back.

Aryan's tears rolled down his cheeks as he looked at Arnav. He just wanted his Bhaiya to look at him with the same warmth as he did every other day.

Arnav tensed up. He saw Ashi leaving her seat and walking towards Aryan and relaxed. He knew Ashi can handle their child. He put his plate aside and got up to leave.

Aryan stopped him by holding his hands. "Bhaiya, I'm sorry, aap please baat Karo na. I promise I'll never touch car again. Aap kuch bhi punishment de do. Aap jaisa kahoge mai karunga.."