Part 14 : Pain and agony

Arnav caressed Ayaansh's face as he sat down beside him. He had had an allergy attack! It had been twelve hours already and the boy hadn't opened his eyes. The doctor had told them about his respiratory system being affected due to the allergy and it would take him some time to regain consciousness. There was nothing to worry at the moment but at the same time, doctor had also warned them that a moment of delay could have been fatal.

Glancing up, Arnav saw Aniket dozing off sitting on the chair, his head resting against the wall. Arnav sighed. It was past midnight and Aniket hadn't gotten proper sleep since last three days. He got up from Ayaansh's side and walked to Aniket's. He caressed Aniket's face gently.

The destiny was just being cruel to them. Neither of his brothers deserved this. They were supposed to be celebrating, instead all of them were only hurting. This incident would again reopen the gates of past they didn't want to revisit.

The gentle caress woke up Aniket. He opened his eyes and then sat up with a startle. He looked at Arnav in slight daze and then hurriedly turned to look at Ayaansh. "Ayu thik hai?"

"Theek hai woh," Arnav assured.

Aniket nodded and gulped down the lump in his throat. He had been inside his worst nightmare. All over again!

"Marr gya tera bhai!"

"Tum ho uske saari taqleefon ki wajah!"

"Ani," Arnav called out. The look of distress on Aniket's face troubled him.

Aniket shrugged his thoughts aside. He looked at Arnav. "kuch khaya aapne?"

"Tu thaka hua hai, Ani. Ghar jake rest kar." Arnav ignored his question. "Ayu thik hai. Mai hoon na yahan. Tu ghar ja..."

"Ayu thik hai na, Bhaiya," Aniket cut him off gently. "Toh kyun khud ko bhookha rakh rhe ho? Mai canteen se kuch le kar aata hoon, thoda kha lo.."

"Mujhse khaya nhi jayega, Ani," Arnav sighed. He couldn't rest untill Ayaansh opened his eyes. He had been through similar situation once. It had left them broken. He didn't have enough strength to go through the same with Ayaansh.

That was the phase in their life they never wanted to relieve. Their present was as beautiful as the starlit sky but their past was as haunting as the darkness lying beyond the twinkling stars.

"Meri galti ki saza khud ko kyun de rhe ho, Bhaiya?" Aniket's unsteady voice startled Arnav.

"Kya keh rha hai, Ani? Aisa kuch nhi hai," Arnav reached for him worriedly.

Aniket quickly blinked off the tears that rushed to his eyes. It wasn't the time for this conversation. Ayaansh needed their attention, not him.

"Ani,"

"Aap ruko, mai aapke liye coffee le kar aata hoon," Aniket walked out without giving Arnav a chance to protest.

Arnav's forehead creased up in concern. They were all falling apart all over again!

----------------------------------------

The next morning, Arnav forcefully sent a reluctant Aniket home. He looked dead on his feet. Ashi and Aryan had just gone back home from hospital. Arnav came back after talk to doctor and saw Ayaansh fidgeting a bit. He immediately rushed to his side.

"Ayu," Arnav held Ayaansh's hand as Ayaansh rubbed his eyes and opened them groggily.

Ayaansh saw Arnav and his face automatically broke into a heartful smile. "Bhaiya,"

The smile made Arnav go numb. His heart had been too calm all the while. A little too calm for something that was supposed to beat.

He blinked off his tears and ran a chaste hand through Ayaansh's hair, brushing them off his forehead. The boy looked so innocent. He bent down and placed a soft, delicate kiss on his forehead, scared that even the kiss would end up hurting him.