Part 16 : Wounds and love

When Aniket and Arnav entered home, they saw the lights on in the kitchen. They looked at each other. Ashi would just blast them off for returning home at this time.

"Aap Bhabhi ke joote khao, Bhaiya, mai chala sone!" Aniket said as he feigned yawning.

The talk with Arnav had reveled his heart to some extent. And now that he felt better, he could go back to troubling his Bhaiya.

Arnav glared at him. "If you take one step towards your room without having food then..." He left the threat midway.

"Then go and calm down your wife first. I'm not taking risk of being hit by a spatula in the kitchen."

Arnav sighed and walked to the kitchen to face his wife. He was almost rehearsing the apology in his head when he saw Sharda in the kitchen. He was taken aback.

"Maasi?" His voice gave away the surprise he felt.

Sharda looked up at him. "Arnav,"

"Aap ab tak soyi nhi, Maasi?"

Sharda hesitated. She had been up, waiting for them to come back so that she could talk to Arnav. But now when Arnav was there she didn't what could she say to him. There was apparently nothing that could justify her mother's act. After Arnav had walked out, a fear had gripped her heart. He had started warming up towards her. They were just trying to bridge the gap between them. She didn't want Arnav retreating back from her.

"Kya hua, Maasi?" Arnav asked, sensing her hesitation. "Koi problem hai?"

Sharda shook her head. "Ani?" She asked.

"He is fine." Arnav visibly stiffened as he spoke.

Sharda understood his dilemma. "Tere saath aaya hai woh bhi?"

Arnav gave a mild nod.

"Arnav, aaj jo bhi hua.." Sharda began after taking a deep breath.

"Let's not talk about it, Maasi." Arnav's expressions closed off. "Kaafi raat ho gyi hai..."

"Jo hua woh nhi hona chahiye tha," Sharda continued, ignoring Arnav's interruption. There was no point to avoid the elephant in the room. It was better to get done with it.

"They are your family and no one has the right to question that. Humse jyada woh tere apne hai, beta, jaanti hoon mai. Ayu se tu kitna pyaar karta hai hum sabko pata hai. You don't need to prove your love to anyone."

Arnav's eyes softened.

"Apne hi do bachcho me koi kam ya jyaada pyaara nhi hota. Ek bachche ke liye dusre ko akela nhi chhoda jata. Maa ne jo kaha unhe nhi kehna chahiye tha. Unki taraf se mai tujhse maafi maangti..." She raised her hands to join but Arnav immediately stepped ahead and held her hands.

"Yeh aap kya kar rhi ho, Maasi? Please yeh sab mat kijiye..."

"Mai jaanti hoon maa ki baaton ne tumhare dil ko thes pahuchai hai. I know you're hurt, bachcha. You don't have to keep it to yourself. Jo bhi hua uske baad it's obvious for you to be mad at me..." She said gently. She didn't want Arnav to act respectful just because she was his aunt. She would rather choose to hear his complaints and then earn his love.

"Naani ne kaha, Maasi, aapne toh nhi na? Why would I be upset at you?" Arnav looked at her directly.

Sharda was startled. She had assumed he was mad at her.

"I'm upset, Maasi." Arnav told her honestly. "I'm very upset with whatever Naani said. Par Jo kuch bhi kaha naani ne kaha, aapse kyun upset rahunga mai?"

Sharda's eyes misted. The boy had been so wronged by everyone and everything in the world and still managed to grow up to be such a wonderful man. The empathy Arnav carried was second to none. It was rare to have a heart that could gulp down all the poison without making others taste a drop of it!