The Cursed River

This chapter started as a random oneshot I wrote after I was already finished withthis fic. But I thought it would fit in here, so the writing style might be alittle different from the season two chapters... I think. I'm not sure about thisone.

Warning: dinosaur violence, blood and injuries. 

"Give us a rest!" Kenji groaned as we ran. "What did we even do to you?" He glanced angrily over his shoulder.

"I don't think dinosaurs speak english, Kenji." Brooklynn commented as we jumped over a big log.

After escaping the T. rex on Main Street, we've been traveling northeast. We stayed away from the aviary and we had the idea of going back to the River Adventure to wait for the rescue to come. It was a cave that literally sat upon a source of water, it would be perfect except for the very territorial Parasaurolophuses.

They had been chasing us for a few minutes now, pushing us to go even more to the north, closer to the ridge of mountains that scarred Isla Nublar's eastern shores. We came across a river flowing south, and had to find a safe place to cross is while being chased by angry herbivores.

The Parasaurolophuses growled, reminding us to pick up the pace. Kenji and Darius were on the lead, while Yasmina was being helped by Brooklynn and Sammy, and I hung on the back with then. I did my best to push my legs to work, to run faster only to come across a clearing a minute later, and having to halt in place.

"No way." I looked up at the rocky formation that stood in front of us.

"Dead end." Brooklynn mumbled.

"We gotta climb it, guys! No time to waste." Yasmina pressed, looking back at the fast-approaching dinosaurs.

"Let's go!" Kenji was the first on to climb up, followed by Darius and Sammy.

I clenched my hands into fists only to notice how weaker my left arm was... still stinging with pain every time I flexed it. I glanced at the cliff in front of me, there were lots of crevices and cracks on the rock. It was doable, but it was going to be hard.

"Just like a camp activity, y'all." Sammy said, as if to comfort herself. "It's just like camp."

"That's right." Darius voice was a bit shaky. "Think of it like something we would've done in camp, just an easy rock-climbing adventure."

"Yep, just another boring camp activity." Yasmina nodded as we helped her up.

"Dave and Roxie would've been down below, urging us to climb." Brooklynn said, with a smile on her face as she climbed.

"No, they would've been urging Ben to move, he is afraid of heights." Kenji mocked, only for him to quickly realize what he had said and freeze in place with a sad expression.

"Was afraid of heights." I corrected him, glancing down at the ground, where I'd imagine Ben would've been stuck, trembling at the thought of rock climbing. But there was no Ben, just the Parasaurolophuses bellowing madly as they tried to reach us.

"Right... maybe we should, eh..." Darius trailed off, and after a minute, he finally spoke again. "We should keep climbing, the Parasaurolophuses will give up eventually."

And that's what we did. Truth was, we were in no shape to go rock climbing. Starving, sleep deprived and injured. I had no idea how Yasmina could even keep going with an ankle like that, because I was barely keeping up with my arm as it was. Every time I put my weight on my left arm, it seized up with pain and I had to shift my weight from one arm to the other, awkwardly advancing up the wall; mostly relying on my legs. I didn't know rock climbing exerted this much from muscles I didn't even knew existed, or was I just feeling it now 'cause everything hurt? Not to mention my back was still acting off throbbing as I tried to keep my balance, but I could only deal with one thing at a time. And that was escaping dinosaurs.