Test Drive

Long-time coming 😏 but oops

"Jeez, Hays. I don't know why you keep complaining. I'd die to get to go to an exclusive camp in Jurassic World." My sister said in her annoying high pitch voice. "Mom, can't I come too?"

"You're welcome to switch places with me, Lizzy." I mumbled, sinking in the back seat.

"Sorry, sweety. Maybe next time." My mom answered without taking her eyes off the road.

"I could've taken an uber to the airport, ya know?" I said, watching as the cars drove past us.

"I'm not sending no daughter of mine to Costa Rica via uber." Dad was quick to reply.

"You can simply not send me off at all." I pointed out, hopeless.

"We've talked about this." Mom's serious eyes glanced at me through the rearview mirror. "I've pulled a lot of strings at work to make this happen. You're going."

"It's Jurassic World." Lizzy chirped besides me. "Think about how many dinosaurs you'll see. You have to send me a picture of the Mosa!"

"Or maybe take a selfie on the aviary." Dad added smiling at mom.

"Yay me." I said with fake enthusiasm. Spending the summer away from my friends... losing practice... How was I supposed to train for the championship this fall?

"It's just a few weeks." Dad said as if reading my mind. "Don't take this as a punishment, Haydie. Try to enjoy yourself."

There wasn't much traffic so we reached the airport fairly quickly, even with mom's turtle speed. I grabbed my luggage from the trunk using a bit more force than needed.

"Easy there." Dad chuckled, taking the luggage from my hands.

"I want a souvenir!" Lizzy exclaimed, jumping out of the car.

I sighed. "What do you want?"

"I don't know, it has to be a surprise!" She had a bright smile plastered on her face.

Even though I was determined to remain cranky, that made me crack a smile. "Fine..."

"Do you have everything you need? Toothbrush... socks..." Dad started to list stuff.

"Yeah, yeah, all good, dad." I mumbled.

"Okay, then. I guess off you go." He gave me a sheepish smile and engulfed me in a hug.

"Too tight." I groaned with my voice muffled.

"Have a safe flight." He finally let me go.

"And remember my souvenir!" Lizzy hugged me too, her head reaching my chin.

"Sure will, shortstack." I ruffled her hair.

"Hey, I'm growing!" She pouted. "Dad says maybe I'll be as tall as him."

"Keep dreaming." I chuckled.

Mom cleaned her throat and I turned to face her, my face falling immediately. 'Yep, still mad.' I concluded.

She gave me a quick hug and a pat on the back. "Try to keep an open mind."

"No promises."

"And behave." She pressed.

"I will." I said, clenching my fist.