A Shock to the System

I just did a 180 with my life and I'm feeling hella stressed, good thing that this chapter comes out today cause from now onwards it's the best part of the fic in my opinion. Getting close to the end... getting close to the climax... things are heating up.

Anyways... did anyone see the new trailer for Chaos Theory?? Looking forward to it, the ideas are rolling free in my head right now. A little spoiler... I have plans for Hayden after this fic and it includes more dinosaurs... 

Chapter warnings: blood, violence.

The wind finally blew away all the dark clouds, and the full moon shone its light on us. Our tears dried out, replaced by smiles as we gathered around Sammy.

"How are you feeling?" Yasmina placed her hand on Sammy's shoulder.

"Like I got punched on the stomach by a porcupine." Sammy groaned, still breathing irregularly. "So, you know... better."

"Let's get back to the boat while there's a break in the storm." Darius said, glancing up to the exposed moon.

"What about the Scorpios rex?" Brooklynn asked.

"What about Sammy?" I added, glancing at the girl, who even though was conscious, was still very pale and breathing with difficulty.

"I can do it." She gave us a half smile.

"We have to risk it, we might not get another chance." Darius sighed.

While Yasmina took care of Sammy, we all started to pack again. The Scorpios had really played a number on our camp, all of the railing was broken down, there were pieces of wood all over the place, and everything that we had packed was scattered on the ground. We went around picking up the cans of food, toilet paper, first aid material, bottles of water and everything we'd need for our trip on the boat.

I saw Darius picking up the two remaining walkies, since I'd lost one in the river, and I caught a glimpse of a flying canned carob, while Brooklynn smiled innocently. Darius tossed one walkie to Brooklynn and left saying something that made her laugh. Kenji was talking something about cows with Sammy, who was being held upright by Yasmina, so I just took care of gathering all the food I could find. I raised my head to search for the only one I hadn't seen around camp, but I couldn't find him anywhere. 'Where is he?'

"Uh... Where's Ben?" Brooklynn asked, also noticing him missing.

"Urgh, not again." Kenji smacked his own forehead.

"I swear this kid is going to get us all killed." Yasmina huffed.

Clearly, I was missing something, but there was a more pressing matter on hand. We piled up all our supplies in one corner and started to search for him in the jungle nearby.

"Ben?" Kenji called.

"Ben!" Brooklynn joined. "Bumpy ran off 'cause of Scorpios rex. Ben's probably going after her." We all halted, not wanting to go deep in the jungle at night time, not when the Scorpios was lurking around.

"Then I'm going after him." Darius announced, already walking away.

"Dude!" Kenji protested.

"Anyone else see the irony?" Yasmina commented.

"Fine, let's go." Brooklynn sighed. "The sooner we get Ben, the sooner we get out of here."

Darius turned to look at us with an expression I knew very well by now. "Don't, Darius." I warned. "I mean it."