Chapter I - Apple Pie

Novi Grad, Sokovia, 1999

Victor Faust POV

Novi Grad was not that bad of a city. The same can be said about the whole country of Sokovia. It was better than Dad described it. What is the best part about it? Victor was spending time with Grandmother Ida! She was not yelling or calling him a failure when she taught him how to raise plants or taught him family magic. Victor was holding his hand over several jars filled with dried tea leaves. On his fingertips danced dark blue sparks that crackled around the room.

"Good, Victor, now release it." A quiet voice spoke right next to him.

Narrowing his gray eyes, the sparks formed a small magical circle made of blue energy. From it flew a thin mist that coiled and flew into the jars. The air was filled with a thick smell of herbs and burned wood. After a minute, Victor took his hand with a grimace and hugged it to his chest.

"Excellent, Victor! I wish I were that good when I was ten."

"Thank you, Grandma," he responded through gritted teeth. "It still hurts, though."

"That is normal. Your body needs to get used to our magic. With time and practice, the pain will disappear. Now, this tea will be more effective at helping people with pain than any morphine could ever be." She ruffled his thick black hair. " Now, how about some dinner?"

"Yes, please! I am starving." Victor practically bounced on his toes, forgetting the pain.

They soon went to a small kitchen filled with only the most basic equipment. Ida placed bowls of hot soup on a wooden table. As they were about to dig in, they heard a frantic knock on the door downstairs.

"I will go, grandma." Not waiting for her reply, Victor moved through the modest living room and went downstairs to where the shop was located. He turned on the lights and checked the clock on the wall, which showed 6 p.m. While opening the door, he mechanically started to speak.

"Welcome to Faust Herbal Remedies. How can we help you?"

A girl with green eyes, a round face, and long dark hair entered the shop.

"Um, Hi, are you all right?" She was skinny and had puffy red cheeks.

"My... My brother has a fever. He... he can not stop shaking." The girl looks at shop shelves filled with various jars of herbal teas, ointments, and creams. Her fingers continued to shake.

"I understand." Victor picked up a large jar and a small vial filled with green liquid. "You need two tablespoons from the large jar and three drops from the small one. Drink this two times a day, and it should help. If not, go to the doctor."

The girl was about to reach out, but she stopped herself and tugged a piece of her hair.

"I... I do not..."

"It's ok, just take it. You will pay when you can." Her green eyes widened.

" You are serious?"

" Yeah. Grandma says our job is to help people, not to make money."

The girl slightly blushed and took the jars.

"Thank you very much. What is your name?"

"I am Victor Faust." He offered her his hand, which she took.

"Wanda... Wanda Maximoff."

"Nice to meet you! I hope your brother will get better soon."

Soon after, the girl left the shop, and Victor locked the door. As he descended the stairs, he noticed his grandmother standing in his way with her arms crossed. Victor swallowed hard.