Chapter IX - Light

The Quinjet, fifteen minutes later

Victor Faust POV

The atmosphere in the ship was thicker than in the building. All things considered, the mission turned out to be a success. S.H.I.E.L.D. got several Hydra agents, all very eager to start interrogations, he assumed, and the victims ended up with help. As soon as Edmund died, the spell that locked Vision in place dropped. He decided to stay and help rescue crews.

"The entire building will need to be torn down, or it will collapse on its own." Said Steve from the pilot's seat. "That and the entire street will be closed off for repairs for at least three months." After a pause, he looked over Victor's shoulder. "We would all appreciate some explanations."

Victor saw her and placed his head on Wanda's shoulder. She did not leave his side since the moment they entered the ship. She slowly rubbed his back, spreading warmth to his cold body.

"My mother died in childbirth. Supposedly because I sucked out her magic." If it were possible, the ship would get even quieter.

"My father is or was obsessed with the idea of bringing her back. He, of course, blamed me for Mom's death, which he made sure I remembered at every possible second. Eventually, he tried to 'follow my example,' as he said. He thought that by sucking the souls of sorcerers, he would get strong enough to bring her back."

"Is that possible?" Natasha's whisper pierced the quietness.

"No. There is no way to bring dead people back. Especially not the way you would want, but father was blinded. I wasn't aware at first, but he trained me in hopes of strengthening my soul. Like making a pig fatter before butchering it. Once my grandmother realized what he was doing, she took me in. Sadly, she passed away, and I was forced to go back to him. I had 10 years; I couldn't say no."

"Your grandmother was an angel." Said Wanda, while still rubbing his back.

"Long story short, he continued to... train me, and one night he sneaked into my room, pinned me to the wall, and tried to suck my soul. I run and hide in Sokovia. Then Ultron attacked, and you know the rest." Everyone was silent. "I swear I had no idea he would join Hydra. If I knew... he killed 35 people because I ran away."

"You can't think this way, Victor."

"Wanda's right. With what you say, it sounds like your father would do it either way." Sam pointed it out.

"What matters is that you put a stop to him. Although next time I expect you to inform us about such unexpected situations. Someone else might have ended up with him and been unprepared." Steve said from behind his seat. Victor cringed thinking about such a scenario.

"Yes, I believe a punishment is in order." Smirked Natasha. "You will spar with me for the next two months, every. Single. Day." Her eyes promised pain.

"I deserve it. I'm sorry, everyone. I promise it won't happen again."

"You good man?" Asked Sam. "With your father being..."

"Dead? I honestly thought I would be happy, but now I just feel empty." Wanda gently caressed his hair. "I will be fine."

"If you ever need to talk, Victor, remember you have us." Steve said it this time with a warmer voice.

The rest of the flight went by in silence. When they arrived back at headquarters, Wanda led Victor back to his room. Victor dropped onto his bed and closed his eyes. Briefly, his body blinked blue, and he went back from his costume to regular clothes.

"That was a long day." Wanda did not respond; she just closed the door and shifted into her regular clothes. She lay on the bed next to him in silence. "You know, I didn't want to kill him; at least I did not try to. His body was so unstable due to so many souls that once they started to fly out, he did not have a chance. I wonder what my grandmother would say."