Chapter XVIII - The Battle for Wakanda

Wakanda, July 25th 2018

Victor Faust POV

After very brief greetings, the team accompanied by the King of Wakanda, and his guards were sitting in Shuri's laboratory. The tech genius furrowed her brows as she already started the process of safely extracting the Mind Stone from Vision.

"The city will be evacuated immediately." King T'Challa, true to his title, paced around the room like a panther. "All defenses shall be engaged. We will buy you as much time as we can, sister."

Victor started to feel an increasing pressure on his chest. If they attacked Stephen Strange already, they might have Time Stone by now. Even without them, Thanos defeated the Hulk like it was nothing. If Bruce was telling the truth, they will send a real army after them. God, he hoped Doctor Banner was exaggerating.

"Wanda, you will need to stay behind." Captain America's voice broke Victor out of his thoughts. "As soon as the Stone is out, you blew it to hell, understood?"

"Gladly." Wanda gracefully swept her long hair over her shoulder.

"Everyone else will-" Steve stopped when the morning sun suddenly disappeared. Shadows covered Shuri's lab, which prompted the automatic lights to turn on.

"Oh boy." Victor murmured. As he looked through the windows, his legs got weak. The sky was littered by enormous shadows of dust and fire. Like a meteorite shower, they were about to drop right in the city center. However, they crushed in a fiery explosion as the barrier protecting Wakanda stopped them. Still, a lot more, landed on the city outskirts just as the protective dome ended.

"These are ships." Natasha whispered.

"And they just tried to kamikaze them right on our heads. We need to move everyone." Victor tried to hide his nerves as much as he could. He didn't know why, but he had terrible feelings about the upcoming battle.

Everyone silently agreed with Faust, and hasty made their way outside. Before Victor left, Wanda hugged him. Her fingers dug into his shoulders as their foreheads touched. The whole world stopped for a second. Feeling the warmth of her body and the sweet scent of vanilla made the thoughts of upcoming battle disappear.

"I wish I could be by your side, darling."

"I know Wanda, but this really is the best way to win, and God, do we need to win this."

"Please, promise me you will survive, Victor."

"Wanda I-"

"I'm begging you."

"I... I promise Wanda. I will come back to you, and I won't let a single alien freak get to you."

Wanda, while holding his cheeks, gave him a long and slow kiss. Their lips were joined in perfect and sweet union. Sadly, they were out of time. As Victor pulled out, he heard a quiet whine from his love. It was a gentle sound only reserved to his ears. They both knew the gravity of their situation.

"When this is all done, I will have a very important question for you, Wanda." He whispered in her mind. Wanda adorably tilted her head. Her emeralds shined with interest, but behind them was something else. With all the time they spent together, and their unbreakable connection, Victor could sense hope behind that curiosity, and this ignited an inferno inside him that burned away all his previous fear. No one, not even a madman with all the Infinity Stones, will keep him away from his perfect life. NO ONE.

"Victor, we need to move." Steve said gently but with a steel edge. They were about to have a battle after all. Victor nodded and in a quick flash of light his clothes turned to his Merlin costume. Wanda followed his lead, donning her scarlet red coat.