Chapter XXXI - No More...

Avengers Compound, October 17th, 2023

Victor Faust POV

"Whatever it takes... Now these words have a real sting to them."

The original Avengers gathered silently by the nearby lake. No one said anything for a while. What was there to say? The unquestionable heart of the team just sacrificed herself for the entire universe. Not for glory, and not really for the untold millions of strangers, but for her family.

"A soul for a soul... Fuck that bullshit." Murmured Tony. "Did she had any family?"

"She did. Us." Responded Steve.

"And we failed her." Bruce growled far too much like the old Hulk, ripped off a wooden bench, and threw it far into the air. Victor released a small bolt of magic from this finger and incinerated it in the air.

"Maybe don't throw stuff now, Bruce? This could have landed on someone." Banner only bit his lips and walked away.

"We need to assemble the gauntlet. Tony, get to the lab." With each of his steps, the ground slightly shook.

"That's the hero gig." Stark only sighed loudly. "Let's just... make sure this was our final loss."

Tony went back inside along with Steve, who did his best to hide his teary face. Clint was standing and watching the smooth lake surface.

"I've always known it would come to this. I mean, that's part of the job, right?"

"Doesn't make it any less hurtful."

"No it doesn't."

"I will tell you the same thing she told me after I lost Wanda. You made her happy, we all made her happy. At the end of the day, that's all we could have done. To be her supporting family."

"I need a drink after this."

"Oh please." Victor nudged his shoulder. "We both know the second we snap others back, you will run to your family. And so will I."

"True. I hope you will come to us for Christmas with Wanda?" He gave him a tired but warm smile.

"I wouldn't miss it." Victor sensed the energies of the Stones assembling. "Come, we are ready."

After but a few moments, everyone was gathered in a small lab, looking at the finished makeshift Infinity Gauntlet. The power radiating from that thing was just as unimaginably crushing as the first time Victor felt it.

"We are really going to do it."

"Better believe it, Houdini." Stark smirked while tapping his chest and donning his nanotech Iron Man suit.

"You are going to run out of magicians at some point, Stark. Anyway, you want me to do the snap?"

"I will do it!" Thor made a move to grab the glove but was stopped by Tony and Victor.

"No offense, big guy, but you aren't at your best right now."

"Don't you know who I am? I was born to do this!" Thor's beer-smelling breath bite into Victor's nose.

"We all know, buddy. Just let us handle this one." Victor, while speaking softly, looked sternly into Thor's eyes.

"I will do it. The radiation coming from the Stones is mostly gamma. It's like I was the one born to do this." Bruce spoke quietly and slowly started to reach for the gauntlet.

"Remember, Bruce, just focus on reversing the snap." Victor said while creating a thick blue dome around Banner.

"Friday, prep the room." Ordered Tony, and all the windows got covered by thick metal plating. The lights dimmed, and everyone braced for whatever might come.