Chapter XXVII - The Penance Stare

June 29th, Agatha's home, 2019, Salem, Massachusetts US

Agatha Harkness POV

"How the hell did he find me here?! I put hiding wards in hiding wards inside hiding wards?!"

"Agatha? Do you hear me, woman?" Victor's voice rumbled in her ears.

"What?" Her cousin rolled his gray eyes.

"I said what the fuck this thing wants from you? Because I doubt it's only purpose is to stand there menacingly."

"He wants the Darkhold back." She pulled away from the window.

"Wait... You stole the Darkhold from that thing?!"

"Could you stop yelling?! And that thing is a man possessed by the spirit of vengeance. Yes, I stole the damn book from him."

Ghost Rider moved, but before he was able to touch the door, he was surrounded in a prison made of purple light.

"Neat, but it won't stop him."

"No it won't. We need to run." She was already on her way to the basement, but Victor grabbed her arm roughly.

"Or, you can just give him the book back."

"Are you mad?!" The door from their side started to glow with a bright purple color. However, they already started to sense the smell of burning wood. "He won't just get the book. He's after my soul as well, and I'm quite attached to it."

The front doors were being slowly burned away. The air in the house was already dry. Victor slowly moved his hand through his cheeks and chin.

"Running won't fix the problem, Agatha. You've already tried to hide and here he is."

"I'm not giving up the Darkhold and more importantly my soul!"

"Stop screaming cousin!" He massaged this temple, "I suppose there is only one way to deal with him."

"No. No, no, no, no Victor. We are not fighting that thing!" She ripped her arm off his grasp.

"Why not?"

"Because Ghost Rider is made to fight dark creatures or, well, anything related to darkness. While I don't consider myself such, he definitely does!" On pure instinct, she shifted into her witch robes. "I need to use the Darkhold to kill him."

"Absolutely not!" He, too, have shifted into his 'Merlin regalia' as he once described it to her.

The doors finally gave in. Ghost Rider entered through burned wood. Its flaming skull tilted to the side, while his empty eye sockets focused on Victor.

"You are innocent. Leave." God that voice... It sounded like someone was dragging a rusty sheet of metal through a blackboard. Agatha cringed as her bones started to feel like jelly.

"Sorry, can't do. She's my only cousin left." A fain blue aura started to shine from his muscles.

"Huh. Well, what do you know? Victor can have quite a strong presence when he isn't moping."

Suddenly, Victor pulled out a small glass orb from the pocket of his blue cloak. Before Agatha could realize what's happening, he cracked the ball in front of her nose. The black mist coiled into her nose and she saw darkness.

Victor Faust POV

Agatha's body dropped to the wooden floor with a loud thud. She deserved that hit for hiding the Darkhold from him. Victor looked at the demon before him. Ghost Riders tied his metal chain around this fist and ignited it. Faust pulled out a Matilda cigarette and with one hand levitated Agatha's body to the nearby closet and locked the door.