Chapter VI - Grief

Avengers' headquarters, three days after the fall of Ultron.

Wanda Maximoff's POV

This whole place was equally unbelievable and ridiculous. The building was bigger than even the research base where Strucker experimented on her. In all her life, she has never been surrounded by so... so much. So much technology, furniture, and people. Everything seemed cold and foreign, but above all, she felt cold inside. 

The previous days went by in a flash. Victor was taken care of by Doctor Cho, and the rest of the team was dealing with the aftermath of the Ultron attack. However, she spent most of her time either visiting Victor, who was locked in a hospital bed, or in her room silently crying. Her brother, her sweet and lovely brother, was dead, and with him was a part of her soul. Wanda stood in front of a mirror, staring at her reflection as if seeing a stranger. She wore a simple, loose black dress and a black jacket. Not her clothes, she doesn't have any clothes. She just found it in her new wardrobe. She put her dark hair in a tight bun and placed two bags of tissues inside her jacket. 

This is the day of the funeral. Sokovia is gone, and so is her brother. Not bothering with makeup, she left her room only to hit a cold, hard chest. She jumped slightly and saw Vision standing in her way. He stood straight with hands behind his back, and the mind stone gave off a slight yellow light. His icy blue eyes seemed to look straight into her soul.

"Wanda, I understand that you are going through a difficult time. I am ready to assist you in any capacity." Wanda cringed inside. She's spoken with Vision a couple of times, and it's always been awkward. Yes, his intentions are good, but she just doesn't have the strength to help him understand her feelings or entertain his awkwardness. Not today.

"Have you been standing here for a while?" Her voice was hoarse. This was probably the first time she spoke a word.

"I've been monitoring your condition for the past hour." He spoke like he was discussing the weather.

"Please don't do that, Vision."

"Why?" He tilts his head like a curious child.

"Because it's creepy. If I want your help, I will come to you. But you must respect my privacy and not just stand next to my door like a ghost." She took a breath. "I just want to say goodbye to my brother."

Looking past his shoulder, she saw Victor exiting his room. He was dressed in black pants and an elegant black shirt. Wanda went past Vision and came closer to Faust.

"Victor, how are your hands after your last checkup? Doctor Cho told me this morning You won't have to see her again?"

Victor smiled and pulled up his sleeves. His skin from fingertips to elbow was pinker than it should be, and the veins kept the slight red hue from her powers.

"They are in perfect condition. Doctor Cho took care of the skin, and I learned that I absorbed a piece of your power. It shouldn't affect my magic."

"So, the red will stay?"

"Yes, and I am happy for it. I like it."

"You... like it?"

"Of course. It feels like you. Like I have a part of you." Wanda smiled upon hearing his cute words. She looked into his big gray eyes. Victor was the only link to her past. The only person left who knows her as just Wanda Maximoff, not a terrorist or a test subject.

"Whenever you are ready, Wanda." He said it quietly, and her smile dropped. All she could do was nod, and they walked through the long corridor in silence. They soon go outside and start to follow a road around the grass field to the burial place. The entire area outside headquarters was just a field of perfectly cut, plain grass. Vision was silently hovering a few steps behind, like a ghost. Most of the Avengers were present, all dressed in black. Clint was even with a woman who had black hair reaching her shoulders. However, Wanda was focused on the dark brown coffin. She kept looking at it, trying to remember every detail. She was vaguely aware that some words were spoken, but what can one say about this? Nothing will bring him back. She felt a warm, strong hand in her own. As the coffin lowered, she buried her head in Victor's shoulder. He stood like a rock, like her anchor.

I don't deserve such a friend. I don't deserve anything good. She thought.

As the ceremony was over, Victor waved his free hand and released a pale blue mist that flew right next to the grave. Her question was silenced when, from the ground, a tiny green stem emerged. The stem grew and grew until it became a full-blown oak tree. Now, the fresh grave was under its watchful guard.

"I thought he would appreciate some shade." Victor whispered in her ear. His voice was close to breaking, too.

"Thank you, Victor." That was all she could say as her tears kept dropping on his shoulder.

After the ceremony and words of comfort, the Avengers slowly moved back inside. All except Vision, who kept lingering in the back, and Clint is with the woman. Wanda remained on Victor's shoulder. She didn't know how many more tears she could shed. They just keep dropping. She pressed her body closer to his and felt his arms hugging her. Victor was so strong and warm. He has always been so kind to her and Pietro, even if he had no reason for it. She did not deserve such a friend. The pair were approached by Clint and the woman.

"Wanda, once again, please accept our condolences. This is my wife, Laura." Wanda let go of Victor and shook his hand.

"Thank you for being here."

That's what she was supposed to say, yes?

The woman hugged her, startling Wanda.

"Your brother was a hero, even if this is no consolation for you. I just want to say that without him, our children would lose their father. There are no words to express my gratitude for that or my sorrow for your loss. If we can help you in any way, please tell us." Laura hugged Wanda again. This time, Maximoff returned the gesture. Maybe that was exhaustion, but there was something very honest about Laura's words.

"You two are always welcome in our home. You know how to contact me." Added Clint and the pair started to leave. Clint whispered something in Vision's ear, and the android also left.

Now that the pair were completely alone, Wanda collapsed on the ground, looking at the grave with empty eyes. Victor took a seat next to her.

"You know you don't need to sit here, right?" she whispered.

"Probably. But I want to, and unless your wish is different, I will stay."

"I don't know how to move on. I'm not sure if I can."

"You don't have to move on right now, Wanda."

"I feel like I'm about to drown, Victor." Her voice cracked.

"I know, Wanda."

"How... How did you move on from Ida's death?" Victor sight.

"I'm not an expert in dealing with loss, Wanda. I still miss my grandmother, but... I just always focus on the happy memories, everything we shared, and what she taught me. Yes, it still makes me sad thinking about it, but it also makes me feel her love." Victor's lip twitched. "She used to say that if you want to love, you need to cry, and I think that's what grief is. Loving through tears."

Wanda put her head on his shoulder and closed her tired, wet eyes.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for reading.

Take care :)