Chapter XXIX - In Miracles We Trust

Poland, October 14th, 2023

Steve Rogers POV

He really should have asked Victor about the exact location of his house. The crispy chill of the early morning air clung to his shoulders as he strode through the forest. Perhaps this was his imagination, but the trees surrounding him seemed off. They appeared to turn ever so slightly as he moved, like they were actively watching him, like a peanut gallery. He did his best to ignore this and kept moving. The forest was bathed in the dark blue hue, and with each blow of the wind, the leaves appeared to... laugh at him. His enhanced senses felt a change. His skin started to feel a hot wave of air just as his nose picked up the smell of burning wood.

"Shit." He growled and started to run. His feet barely touched the ground, and soon after, he stood in front of a massive bonfire that was casting a sea of shadows upon the grass and trees. The orange tongues barely revealed pieces of the building, but it was enough to confirm his worst suspicions. He ran closer. "Victor! Victor, are you there?!"

Steve was about to jump into the burning building until he heard a groan behind him.

"Keep it down, will you? You will give me a headache."

There he was. The last five years have changed Victor Faust. His previous gentle, even boyish, features were now hardened and cold. His face and body looked like they were being re-sculpted now from a granite. The only thing truly similar was the same short haircut and these gray eyes. Steve rushed and grabbed him into a bone-crushing hug. He felt Faust giggle as he returned the hug.

"You have no idea how worried I was. How we all were." He felt Victor squeeze him harder before pulling out.

"Trust me, I know, but I'm better." Steve couldn't help himself, and he punched Victor's stomach. While Faust groaned, Steve's brows furrowed.

"Why is his body so strong? My fist actually hurt after that."

"That was for five years of silence."

"I deserved that, I suppose, although I really needed time, Steve. I was not well, and it took a lot of time and effort to even start to get better." Victor nudged his shoulder. "Want to watch the bonfire?"

"I was about to comment that you are pretty calm for someone whose house is on fire."

"Well, I was the one who started it."

"Why?!"

"For closure." Victor took a seat on the grassy field and patted the place next to him. "This place was not only filled with horrible memories of my childhood, but also with too many memories I've shared with Wanda. Agatha suggested this can help me with moving on."

"Agatha?" He whispered, stunned, and sat next to him.

"She's my long-lost crazy cousin." Victor looked at him with a small smirk. "I can see the questions on your face, Steve, and it's a very long story. Far too long to tell it right now."

"But you are better?"

"I try to be better, which is way more than what I've been doing for the first two years after the snap." He pulled out a cigarette, which was immediately lit up with a blue spark that came out of nowhere. It smelled strangely sweet. "Want one?"

"No, thanks." Steve couldn't help but shift uncomfortably. He really should have expected this. It was truly foolish to hope to meet the same warm, gentle, but strong young man.

"Suit yourself." Victor closed his eyes and blew out a big cloud of smoke. "Anyway, why are you here, Steve? I sincerely doubt it's just to catch up."

Captain America took a deep breath; he really needed Victor on board with this. On the one hand, he thought Victor would jump on the opportunity; he really shouldn't make any assumptions.