Chapter XX - Burned Hands

Victor Faust POV

Every thought and every idea are his now. His mind turned into a violent vortex of possibilities as the Mind Stone bonded to him. The world turned so much more...vibrant. The colors were blooming with impossible intensity, and nature revealed unnoticeable secrets. Victor could easily observe every possible grass blade and every small crack in the ground. His body was immediately revitalized. All previous exhaustion was gone; hell, he felt better than ever before. All this with only one stone... And he was about to face someone with all the others. With, yes, infinite control over his mind, Victor started to plan his next actions. The stone made his body completely forget how to feel pain or exhaustion. Nearly instantly, he recalled everything he had ever learned just to find a way to kill Thanos.

While hours passed in his mind, in the real world, only a couple of seconds passed while he stood there motionless. With this new power, he snapped his finger and turned invisible. Victor moved through the battlefield littered with corpses, both alien and human. The air was filled with the thick and metallic scent of blood. Soon he reached a small, barren hill, upon which Thanos stood among the lying Avengers. Most were unconscious and broken; however, Steve Rogers was trying to stand up. He barely noticed the horned alien that attacked him and Wanda back in Edinburg. Now her lifeless body was pierced with Natasha's steel batons. His mind worked with blinding speed, creating and perfecting a plan.

With the glowing yellow stone on his finger, the previous fear and anxiety disappeared. This freak needs to die, and he will. To achieve that, he needed a distraction first. The Mind Stone kindly gave him an idea.

Steve Rogers POV

This was pointless, but he had to get up. The punch from Thanos broke his earpiece, but he was sure that Shuri still hadn't pulled out the Mind Stone from Vision, especially since Wanda was still busy blocking that avalanche from killing them all. As hard as he tried, he couldn't get up. His body was giving up for the first time in his long life. Thanos heavy boot pressed the ground next to his face. Steve grabbed it and tried to hold him in place. He tried to do something. Thanos lazily kicked him away. With a groan, he rolled to the side. This was the moment when something happened to Bruce. His suit, which was fused into the rocks by Thanos, started to crack. 

After a few seconds of struggle, the Hulk emerged from the metallic shell. His eyes were weirdly glowing yellow, and with his loudest roars to date, the Hulk jumped at Thanos. The resulting clash sent Steve and everyone else away. The Hulk roared louder and louder. In blind fury, he threw wild punches, kicks, and headbutts at Thanos, whose amusement was slowly turning into a concern. The mad titan's hand glowed purple as he released a blast from the Power Stone at Hulk, who just took it and kept attacking. Hulk's body was smoldering after the direct hit, but he just kept on attracting. The yellow in his eyes seemed to glow brighter.

"What the hell is happening?" He thought as he observed the surprising clash. Eventually, the bloodied and bruised Hulk grabbed Thanos infinity gauntlet. The golden glove that kept all the Infinity Stones together was now covered by a mountain of green muscles. Suddenly, out of thin air, a giant blue axe appeared and made a mad slash at Thanos arm. The axe only hit the ground as the purple alien used the Space Stone to teleport to a safe distance. Then Victor materialized out of thin air.

Victor Faust POV

"Shame. I was hoping we would finish this quickly." Victor released the mind control on the Hulk as the green giant already fought over his limit. The yellow in his eyes disappeared as he turned back to Doctor Banner. He was covered in bruises and, as always after the transformation, naked. Victor took off his coat and covered the unconscious Banner.

"Another wizard." Thanos deep voice carried a small laugh. "At least you seem to possess a stronger will than the last one. To use your friend like that just to stop me." He sounded almost impressed. Victor started to sense guilt that, like a needle, started to dig into his soul. Faust, while invisible, had already inspected everything there was to Thanos. However, hearing his taunt, he couldn't help but think of Stephen Strange and the Time Stone that was now inside the gauntlet.